Gramophone Classical Music Guide 2012

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 06 November 2013, 16:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Well, it was selling at £5.99 in my local discount book shop, so I decided to buy a copy. It's a pretty disappointing volume, though. Thus, although there is some acknowledgment of the existence of the composers we regularly discuss here, on the whole it is restricted to entries on well-known ventures such as the Hyperion RPC series. So, for example, there is nothing at all on Raff, Draeseke, Gernsheim, Reinecke, Goetz, Lachner or Dietrich, although (oddly) Spohr is included.

There is clearly still a lot of work to do....

giles.enders

Since I have no idea who the editor is I cannot be specific about them, however so many of the paid professionals, in classical music journalism are hacks who do not research properly or at all. This also applies to the radio BBC radio 3 classic FM etc.

Alan Howe

The point I was trying to make is that the broad 19th century tradition, particularly that emanating from Austro-Hungary/Germany and other neighbouring countries, is sparsely represented - which is just downright silly given the number of recordings made over the past decade or so.

sdtom

Quote from: giles.enders on Thursday 07 November 2013, 12:10
Since I have no idea who the editor is I cannot be specific about them, however so many of the paid professionals, in classical music journalism are hacks who do not research properly or at all. This also applies to the radio BBC radio 3 classic FM etc.

I guess it is selling to the customer base, whoever that is.
Tom

giles.enders

---or not, this might be why The Gramophone magazine has recently been sold.  It has certainly lost touch with many areas about music which interest me.