Miguel Marqués (1843-1918): Spanish Symphonist

Started by LateRomantic75, Wednesday 18 December 2013, 23:06

Previous topic - Next topic

LateRomantic75

If you have not yet encountered the symphonies of Miguel Marqués yet, some tuneful and thoroughly enjoyable music awaits you! His Symphonies 2-5, all substantial works, can all be found on YouTube. Later in life, Marqués concentrated on zarzuelas instead of symphonic works. Here's a web page on him: http://www.zarzuela.net/com/marques.htm

eschiss1

ah, thanks- I've heard no.4 in E on BBC but wasn't aware that any of the others had been performed/broadcast recently (I see the scores were published rather recently (1993-2005 or so), at that. Interesting...)

DennisS

Had a quick listen yesterday evening to the symphonies on Youtube. I liked what I heard and was particularly taken with symphony no 4, especially the third movement (Scherzo?) which is quite lively, melodious and joyous. Had the feeling that the third movement in each of the symphonies was a scherzo (but not too sure?) and very appealing they are too!Need though to listen again to each symphony carefully. Did a quick search on the Internet but it seems that none of the symphonies have been recorded commercially? Thank you LateRomantic75 for drawing my attention to this composer.

Martin Eastick

It seems that symphonies 1-5 are still available via our downloads archive (although the composer's dates are noted there as 1843-1925!)

Gauk

I find his music rather amateurish. At its best it reminds me of Sullivan ...

But it does point up a difference between romantic and serialist music. Allowing that great music can be and has been written in the serialist mode (you might not agree), it seems to me unarguable that amateurish romatic music can still be listened to with pleasure, whereas amateurish serialist music has no redeeming features whatever.

eschiss1

well... certainly not unarguable; I know I'd argue it. I think you're looking for non/atonal, of which serial is not a proper subset by any means.

Alan Howe

Let's not go down this route. Let's stick to Marqués, please.

LateRomantic75

Quote from: DennisS on Thursday 19 December 2013, 11:47
Had a quick listen yesterday evening to the symphonies on Youtube. I liked what I heard and was particularly taken with symphony no 4, especially the third movement (Scherzo?) which is quite lively, melodious and joyous. Had the feeling that the third movement in each of the symphonies was a scherzo (but not too sure?) and very appealing they are too!Need though to listen again to each symphony carefully. Did a quick search on the Internet but it seems that none of the symphonies have been recorded commercially? Thank you LateRomantic75 for drawing my attention to this composer.

Thanks for the feedback! Indeed, the joyous, life-affirming quality of Marques' music is a great pleasure to listen to. Even so, it is definitely serious, substantial music, and certainly not akin to Sullivan! ;D No, none of the Marques symphonies have been commercially recorded, according to the ever-dependable Mike Herman.