That "I'd forgotten he was so good" moment...

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 06 May 2010, 19:04

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

The thing of it is, whenever I have one of those moments I break out the CD and pop it in.  I've had experiences of that recently with the Hiller 3rd PC, the Gade VC, the Dietrich VC, the Urspruch PC and Symphony and the Reinecke VC.  I'm about to add the Dietrich Symphony to that list.  As I was listening to the Fabritius VC I had a similar moment, although that isn't really "great" music per se.

chill319

"De Greef's 2 PCs. Wonderful music..."
You guys sure make it hard on the old battered pocketbook. Here I go and order the Devreese concertos 2-4. all the while fighting curiosity and the temptation to add the De Greef CD (which Devreese conducts) ... then this encomium comes along.
Isn't classical music wonderful?

Peter1953

Oh yes, going deep(er) into classical music like we members do is a constantly exiting traveling through a fascinating world, full of discoveries. Sometimes you'll find a real gem that makes you feel happy, or gives you lot of enjoyment, and even can move you to tears. Sometimes it can be a disappointment. However, not rarely you hear new music that thrills at first hearing but has to grow on you, which is a challenge if you take the time that particular piece of music deserves... It's an adventure, and a very pleasant one too. This forum is of great help in finding your way through that adventurous world of sounds.

Pengelli

De Greef as well? Oh no! Seriously,oh good; but I was the one who recommended the Devreese concerto's in the 'contemporary/ling composers post,and it was because of JIML's enthusiastic responce to my post that I ordered the 2cd Devreese set (Cypres).
(And this on top of Cheers Season 5!!!).
Love those Belgian/ Dutch composers. I was listening to a bit of Meuleman earlier. Why so neglected? They seem to be one of classical music's best kept secrets.

Pengelli

Pengelli

And I spelt 'response' wrong. Okay,I think it's getting a bit late........

John H White

I'm so glad that Clementi came to settle in England, so that, like Handel before him, we can claim him as one of ours!

eschiss1

I remember a really withering review some years back (somewhere????) of a release of the scores (recent edition) of the Clementi symphonies pointing out in some detail how poor an edition they (and Casella's edition before them, too) were - not that Clementi gave the poor editor much help, though.  Still, the reviewer felt that Spada (I believe?) could very easily have squinted his eyes a bit and done a much better job. (My expression, and so to speak.)
Eric

JimL

I've been listening to some of the Myaskovsky symphonies that Amphissa sent me a year or two ago.  I'm still awestruck by the 5th and 15th.  I think those are my favorite two of the bunch (mea culpa for those of you enamored of the 6th).  I really think the 5th could be a repertory work and make a big impression on audiences today.

chill319

Regarding the Clementi review, I wonder if there was a soupçon of sour grapes in it ...

Alan Howe

chill319

In the publish or perish world of musicology, one who does careful work on a "minor" composer's urtext may find another more "pragmatic" colleague publishing the same repertoire first, after which that well dries up, publish-or-perish-wise.

eschiss1

Quote from: JimL on Tuesday 11 May 2010, 23:20
I've been listening to some of the Myaskovsky symphonies that Amphissa sent me a year or two ago.  I'm still awestruck by the 5th and 15th.  I think those are my favorite two of the bunch (mea culpa for those of you enamored of the 6th).  I really think the 5th could be a repertory work and make a big impression on audiences today.

With you on the 5th, but I also adore the 20th- the finale apotheosis is a simple notion but very effective.

Re the Clementi review - sour grapes - maybe. I should try to track down that review though- it was very specific (though I must admit too that much of its evidence relied on comparisons with hard-to-verify (?) manuscript sources.)
Eric

JimL

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 12 May 2010, 00:55

With you on the 5th, but I also adore the 20th- the finale apotheosis is a simple notion but very effective.
Check out the 15th.  BTW, I've noticed that in both these 4 movement symphonies Myaskovsky brings back the 2nd theme of the first movement fortissimo at the end of the finale in a kind of apotheosis.  I wonder if he does this in all of his 4 movement symphonies.  I'm going to have to check out the 22nd, which is the only other one besides the 6th I have.

eschiss1

Quote from: JimL on Wednesday 12 May 2010, 06:43
Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 12 May 2010, 00:55

Check out the 15th.  BTW, I've noticed that in both these 4 movement symphonies Myaskovsky brings back the 2nd theme of the first movement fortissimo at the end of the finale in a kind of apotheosis.  I wonder if he does this in all of his 4 movement symphonies.  I'm going to have to check out the 22nd, which is the only other one besides the 6th I have.

I've always thought of the 22nd as alternatively a 1-movement or a 3-movement symphony. The introduction to the first movement does return several times during the work and then in heightened form just before the end, I think, but I don't think the second theme of the first movement reappears.
Also can't recall any reappearance of first movement themes in the finale of the 16th symphony (another favorite of mine)- offhand.
Check the 8th, 9th, 16th, 17th and 19th, though, all 4-movement Myaskovsky symphonies... (+ 5, 6 and 15 aforementioned of course.)