News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rubinstein - La Russie

Started by semloh, Saturday 07 December 2013, 23:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Amphissa

Just as an off the wall thought, I wonder if this piece has no opus number because it was not intended as a serious work, but as a very direct jab at the The Mighty Handful. Rubinstein was not especially fond of the nationalist movement and was often at odds with its proponents. Moreover, the nationalists were vocally anti-Jewish and were not shy about condemning Rubinstein's Jewish heritage.

Rubinstein was noted for his sarcasm and his willingness to confront what he perceived as the misguided direction of the nationalists.

Could it be that La Russie, with it's French title for a work about Russia, it's tacked-together batch of folk melodies, and at least one very recognizable Jewish theme, was intended as musical sarcasm -- a dagger-thrust at his enemies?

Being no scholar of music history, perhaps this idea has been proposed before and discarded as silly. If so, in the words of the great music critic Roseanne Roseannadanna, "neh .. VUR ... mind."

khorovod

QuoteJust as an off the wall thought, I wonder if this piece has no opus number because it was not intended as a serious work, but as a very direct jab at the The Mighty Handful. Rubinstein was not especially fond of the nationalist movement and was often at odds with its proponents.

I don't know if I'm remembering right but I feel like I read somewhere that this was written for the same celebrations of Tsar Alexander II that Borodin's In the steppes of Central Asia and Musorgsky's Triumphal March for the Capture of Kars were.

Mark Thomas

It was written to commemorate an Exhibition of Industry and Art in Moscow in 1882. According to this the Borodin at least wasn't.

khorovod

Amphissa

A fitting opportunity to take a jab at the nationalists? haha