News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Alla Pavlova

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 09 May 2010, 22:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

i would be grateful if friends could orientate me with regard to the music of Alla Pavlova. Is her music worth listening to - i.e. does she sustain and develop her musical ideas, or is her music just too much of a good thing? And, if she is worth listening to, where should I start?

wunderkind

I own four (all?) of the Naxos recordings of Ms Pavlova's music.  I haven't listened in a while but I can say that I enjoy them quite a bit.  However, the works mostly are written in a slow tempo - lugubrious and, I think, sad.   I am not sure if her "ideas" or "themes" could be considered developed; they sort of mosey along, are easy on the ears and, unfortunately, might mingle with the design of your wallpaper.  Perhaps one could say that her music lies on the edge of "new age" but escapes this label due to its Russian-tinged longing.   There are five symphonies and you could dip your toe in about anywhere to get a full flavor of Ms Pavlova's art.  If it appeals - well, go for it all.  At Naxos' prices there's little risk and consequently you've made the acquaintance of a living, approachable, highly listenable composer.

petershott@btinternet.com

Alan, I'm afraid I didn't make much headway with Pavlova. I've tried all five symphonies (on the Naxos recordings - all of which are certainly good). But never did I jump out of my chair - in either  exuberance, delight, or even annoyance. It is on the whole rather static music, meandering along without (to my ears) really getting anywhere. Vaguely pleasant, generally inoffensive, almost what some call 'mood' music. Some 'nice' effects certainly, but a few minutes later there I am beginning to twiddle the thumbs again. That of course is entirely a subjective reaction, and as such there's no reason for you or anyone else to take it into account. I'm sure Pavlova is a sincere composer, but to me the music just doesn't kick ass. I think more Naxos recordings are on the way and I shall probably give them a try. But there's much more urgently compelling music with which to besiege the ears and mind. Others will disagree, as of course is their entitlement.

Peter

Alan Howe

My impression from the rather long extract available at the composer's own website was of initial delight at such rich, romantically-inclined music, but then boredom set in as there appeared to be almost no variation in the prevailing mood of sadness and nostalgia. Think I'll give her a miss...

Marcus

Hello Peter,Alan,
The five Pavlova symphonies have not done much for me either, and, like much of the modern repertoire being released by Naxos. However, at budget price they are always worth a listen (or two), and I find it hard to resist an unknown symphony, sonata, string quartet etc , by an unknown (to me ) composer - you never know what gems are hidden out there. However, I am continuing to accumulate a Naxos library of modern music without too many jewels. In spite of that, I applaud the efforts of Klaus Heymann to present a catalogue of classical music repertoire, some of  which may never be recorded elsewhere. With today's economic climate being as it is, that takes dedication !
Marcus.

wunderkind

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Monday 10 May 2010, 00:41
I'm sure Pavlova is a sincere composer, but to me the music just doesn't kick ass.

Peter

"Kick ass" never has been a criterion of mine when considering the merits of a composer's style.  Actually I never have applied that term to anything - much less classical music.  Maybe I am of the outmoded generation and consequently view that phrase as inappropriate (another modern usage!) in the context (in any context). 

However, the comments - minus the uninvited pejorative - are generally descriptive of Pavlova's music.  I wouldn't completely debunk it since I do listen occasionally.  As I, and another, suggested - at Naxos' attractive price, there's no great investment required to have a listen to one of today's composers who is broadly represented on disc.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  After all - she's not Milton Babbitt (thank goodness!).

eschiss1

Quote from: wunderkind on Monday 10 May 2010, 12:57

However, the comments - minus the uninvited pejorative - are generally descriptive of Pavlova's music.  I wouldn't completely debunk it since I do listen occasionally.  As I, and another, suggested - at Naxos' attractive price, there's no great investment required to have a listen to one of today's composers who is broadly represented on disc.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  After all - she's not Milton Babbitt (thank goodness!).
Or alternatively, unfortunately!
Eric