News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Gunnar de Frumerie

Started by JimL, Saturday 13 March 2010, 16:44

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

I'm listening on the Classical Masterpieces Channel to the Variations and Fugue for Piano and Orchestra of Gunnar de Frumerie.  He seems to be quite an interesting composer, according to his Wiki.  His music sounds like a blend of Rachmaninoff and Ravel.  Although Swedish he seems more cosmopolitan.  The variation I'm listening to right now sounds vaguely Chinese.  He composed a cello concerto adapted from his cello sonata, then adapted it for trombone!  I kid you not.  Anybody have more on him?

edurban

Intriguing.  The reviews certainly do whet the appetite...

David

Alan Howe

There is a lovely CD on the Caprice label, containing the CC, VC and Symphonic Variations. A very attractive composer indeed.

petershott@btinternet.com

Heartily agree with all the above. I'm glad others have made him a little less unsung. I'd also recommend another Caprice CD (CAP21400) of the Variations & Fugue for piano & orchestra; Concerto for French Horn (a wholly distinctive piece) and Musica Per Nove for piano & chamber ensemble.

Caprice also issued (CAP22023) the opera in 4 Acts, Singoalla, after the novel by Rydberg, and first performed in Stockholm in 1940. It's an interesting and well put together piece.

Peter

JimL

Most gratified to have stumbled on another find. :)

Syrelius

His Pastoral Suite is on Naxos. There is also an old CD on Swedish label Big Ben with a ballet, Saint John's Eve. However, I don't think it is available otherwise than second-hand.

JimL

I noted that the listing on his Wiki included only a limited number of works, although the Cello Concerto, his Op. 81 (and its trombone arrangement, Op. 81A), is mentioned as his final work.  Even the piano concertante Variations and Fugue wasn't in the list, IIRC.  I'm wondering if he composed any full-scale piano concertos?  The Wiki did say that his piano music is highly intricate, and the Variations and Fugue certainly show he could blend piano and orchestra quite adroitly.

eschiss1

Records International claims the variations and fugue are fairly early in publication (op. 11) and lists another recording (with the composer at the piano; no idea if it's still available) where they're coupled with a symphonic ballad with piano op. 31 of 1944  and a concerto for two pianos and orchestra op. 46 among other works (see http://www.recordsinternational.com/archive/RICatalogMar99.html ).
Eric

John Hudock

QuoteHis Pastoral Suite is on Naxos. There is also an old CD on Swedish label Big Ben with a ballet, Saint John's Eve. However, I don't think it is available otherwise than second-hand.

Saint John's Eve is available for mp3 download from Amazon for under $4.

jimmosk

Quote from: John Hudock on Monday 15 March 2010, 13:35
Saint John's Eve is available for mp3 download from Amazon for under $4.

Wow, thanks for the tip; it's delightful music!  (Has anyone compiled a listing of all the unexpected bargains for unknown composers there? I've encountered more than a few...)

--
Jim Moskowitz
The Unknown Composers Page:  http://kith.org/jimmosk/TOC.html
My latest list of unusual classical CDs for auction:  http://tinyurl.com/jimmosk

DennisS

Hi

My list of wanted cds is rather long and sometimes I have to wait before ordering a cd I want. The De Frumerie Sterling cd is such a case - VC, CC and Symphonic Variations. I received it last week and have since listened to it a couple of times. I quite liked the CC but prefered the VC. I was also quite taken with the Symphonic Variations. Overall, a lovely cd. I am sure I will listen to it regularly. thank you for alerting me to it.

Dennis

jimmosk

For what it's worth, I currently have a Caprice disc up for auction with de Frumerie's French Horn Concerto, Musica Per Nove, and the Variations and Fugue for Piano and Orchestra: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=360262079491

-Jim