Franz Rudolph Wurlitzer 1831-1914

Started by giles.enders, Tuesday 14 January 2014, 11:45

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Franz Rudolph Wurlitzer 1.2.1831 - 14.1.1914

On this day Franz Wurlitzer died.  I expect there will be much gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair at the mere mention of Wurlitzer who founded his organ factory in 1853.  Thought I'd mention it as these instruments played a part in bringing classical music to the masses.  I have to admit that I can't stand them though.

thalbergmad

Oh, I love them and consider it a crime that so many have been destroyed or left to rot in the UK.

Going to the cinema would be a far better experience if the Mighty Wurlitzer were to be re introduced. As you say, they brought much orchestral music to the masses that otherwise would not have been heard.

Our American friends seem to be much more enthusiastic about preserving the theatre organ and the Allen Organ Company still build them.

Who would not want one of these in their living room?? http://www.allenorgan.com/www/products/to5q/to5q.html

Thal

ahinton

Quote from: thalbergmad on Tuesday 14 January 2014, 20:46
Oh, I love them and consider it a crime that so many have been destroyed or left to rot in the UK.

Going to the cinema would be a far better experience if the Mighty Wurlitzer were to be re introduced
As once used in certain circles to be said about those instruments by those seeking to answer others who wondered what they were - "Wurlitzer", or rahter "Well, it's a..."...

I'm not convinced that showings of Silence of the Lambs, Yentl, A Fish called Wanda, Marnie or Quantum of Solace (just to pick five entirely at random) would have benefited from the presence of a Mighty Wurlitzer (why are they always "mighty"?), any more than any of the movies of the 1920s when shown in a particular Glasgow cinema actually did benefit from the attentions of a pianist playing on the 1896 Model C Steinway grand that was sold to a firm in London who in turn sold it to Sorabji in 1931 and which you have yourself sat near once no so many years ago...

jerfilm

As I recall, they still crank out the pipe organ at Radio City Music Hall before each movie or performance.   Don't know if it's a Wurlitzer but it is "mighty"....

J

Gareth Vaughan

Wurlitzers were actually extremely good organs. They get a bad press amongst lovers of "serious" (for want of a better word) music because of the light, and (yes, sometimes) cheap music that was played on them. But you could successfully play Romantic organ music (especially by the French school) on a Wurlitzer - you wouldn't have to employ all the gizmos!