Stanford's complete music for violin and piano (3 cds)

Started by Balapoel, Tuesday 14 January 2014, 19:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Balapoel

to be released in the US on march 11, 2014, from Alberto Bologni (violin) and Christopher Howell (piano).

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Works-Violin-Piano-Stanford/dp/B00GOVRUSO/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389727369&sr=1-1&keywords=box

Tracks here:
http://www.shevacollection.it/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=77

Sonata no 1, op 11
Sonata no 2, op 70
other pieces: op 13, 54, 89, 93, 153, 155, 155, legend, album-leaf, 6 irish dances, 3 irish airs, 6 irish marches, ancient melody, Planxty Sudley

eschiss1

Ok, now I'm -very- curious. Is there a 3rd violin sonata? I thought there was...

Balapoel

Well, there are lacunae, so it is possible the materials are lost:
Violin Sonata No. 3, Op. 165/1 (1919)
Violin Sonata No. 4, Op. 165/2 (1919)

eschiss1

Hrm. Thought I saw mention of one of them in a source scanned by Google Books, but maybe not, after all...

eschiss1

Hrm. According to John France (review of the new 3-CD set) the manuscript of Op.165 is missing (and they were never published, yes.) (Likewise Dibble, p.479 (who says only autograph missing, but I assume no abschrift has been found either.)) Dibble does note that Op.165 were both performed at Wigmore hall by Murray Lambert & Hamilton Harty on 7 May 1919, and Cobbett's has a brief note about them. (It was a brief description of that Wigmore Hall performance that I thought I'd seen, in the Musical Times or somewhere, which I thought was basically the main evidence that the works had once existed, just as, in a somewhat parallel case, a concert report of a performance of a symphony in B minor by Robert Fuchs (1847-1927) may be the only primary evidence that that now lost work of his (predating his 3 published symphonies) existed, e.g..)

(Also, though moot unless the works ever turn up, according to Christopher Howell describing Porte (1921), the Op.165 were not considered violin sonatas 3 & 4 by Stanford but rather sonatas 1 & 2 of a different kind- violin solo with accompanying piano...)

giles.enders

According to a list of his works which Stanford submitted to The British Music Society for publishing in their 1920 annual, he lists  'Two sonatas for violin solo with piano accompaniment Op.165'