W. H. Reed Violin Concerto

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 08 May 2014, 22:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Simon B writes:

<<How about William 'Billy' REED's own Violin Concerto- must be worth a listen. surely?>>

Alan Howe

William Henry "Billy" Reed (1876-1942) wrote a VC in A minor in 1918. Here's some more information on Reed:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/garlands/reed.htm

eschiss1

It was published in 1918. I don't know if we know when it was composed. Here btw is the piano score and an incomplete violin part uploaded to IMSLP (originally from the U. California library collection, scanned by Hathitrust, reuploaded by Cypressdome -thanks)-

IMSLP page :)

I know of no recordings, recent (or ever?...) performances and don't know where the orchestral parts are offhand...

There's also some more information on Reed here.

edurban

I'd like to hear any orchestral work called "Shockheaded Peter"...

Intriguing article.

David

matesic

There's a disc of violin and piano pieces on Dutton that I haven't heard. I think his String Quartet No.5 is a good piece, a Cobbett prizewinner (although hardly conforming to the "Phantasy" model) that deserves a better performance

http://imslp.org/wiki/String_Quartet_No.5_(Reed,_William_Henry)

Of course, it was Reed who faithfully promised Elgar on his deathbed (nearly) that nobody would ever be allowed to tinker with the sketches for the third symphony.

Gareth Vaughan

Alas, the orchestral score and parts are believed lost - or so I've been told. I think there is something about it on the Dutton disk. Can't check at present as away from home.

semloh

The Wikipedia entry for WH Reed includes a long list of compositions, but no recordings other than the Dutton disc.  I wonder if Dutton can persuade anyone to consider the orchestral pieces for which music is available.

Re Shockheaded Peter: I loved the Struwwelpeter stories as a child - fidgety Phil who couldn't sit still, the girl who played with matches, and so on - but I think this is the first time I've heard of them being represented in classical music.

eschiss1

(Wait...) Struwwelpeter? That's the name of I think what was once perhaps the most famous (relatively speaking, always relatively speaking) work of a (20th-century apparently somewhat Hindemith-inspired) composer named Kurt Hessenberg, I believe a ballet of his based on just those stories. Didn't make the connection until right there, though.

Haven't heard of any other settings, though; may say something that the one I have heard about is by a composer who died all of ten years ago or so... well- so goes.

OTOH I "haven't heard" is one thing... erm... wait a minute...

Worldcat lists settings and derivative-works by Geoffrey Shaw (pub.1914 or so, recorded), "T.A. Bevis" (pub.1908), Walter Rubens (pub.1901), others...

Jimfin

The Dutton disc is much more enjoyable than I had anticipated. Some lovely depth and Elgarian expression (yes, I suppose I was looking for that). If the Violin Concerto were to be recorded I would certainly buy it.