Madetoja: Symphonies 1 and 3 etc. from Ondine

Started by LateRomantic75, Saturday 25 January 2014, 05:07

Previous topic - Next topic

LateRomantic75

Despite the fact that Madetoja has been relatively well-served on disc lately, I thought this new release would be worth mentioning: http://ondine.net/?lid=en&cid=2.2&oid=5161

The First Symphony is a richly romantic work reflecting the influences of Sibelius and Tchaikovsky. The Third is a real breath of fresh air-Ravel (in neoclassical mode) is a more prominent influence than Sibelius here. The Okon Fuoko Suite also demonstrates Madetoja's cosmopolitan nature. Madetoja's masterwork, however, is unquestionably the Second Symphony, a deeply moving work inspired by the death of his brother in the Finnish Civil War.

Alan Howe

I found the recording of No.2 disappointing, especially the opening - much less atmospheric than, say, Sakari on Chandos - so I'll be giving this one a miss.

LateRomantic75

I haven't yet ordered the Ondine recording of the Second, so thanks for the heads-up!

anssik

I wasn't exactly disappointed with the 2nd, but I don't think it really brought any new insight into it, either. Hopefully the new recording is more successful here. Madetoja's symphonies are in any case quite well served by existing recordings by Sakari, Volmer plus the older ones released by Finlandia. So, rather than the symphonies, I'd like to see and hear some of his other works gaining life through recordings. For instance, he wrote a number of cantatas, which probably haven't been performed since they first or in some cases second performances and which, apparently, have substance that gives them significance far beyond the occasions for which they were originally written. Alas, it's not very likely that such hopes will materialize.

Alan Howe

That's an insightful post, anssik - thank you.

LateRomantic75

I agree, anssik-I'd love to see some of Madetoja's vocal/orchestral works recorded. (This always seems to be the most neglected-on-disc area of composers' outputs.) Also, there's a Lyric Suite for orchestra with optional solo cello that remains unrecorded.

britishcomposer

One cantata, Lauluseppele op. 78, has been recorded by the Helsinki University Chorus in an a capella version by Kalevi Aho.
It is however more than a mere arrangement but a recomposition which includes original material by Aho. Aho has done a great job in completing some fragmentary Sibelius works but I do not consider this arrangement a successful effort. You definitely feel the change in style where Aho steps in and it sounds quite gauche to me.