British Symphonies either side of WW2

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 16 May 2010, 09:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...and that makes Frankel's symphonies all pretty thorny, I think, if 1958 is the cut-off point.

Pengelli

To be fair the quality of the all too obviously off air recordings didn't help much. But there wasn't much to encourage further investigation, I'm afraid. Nearly as disappointing as the off air Alan Bush Piano Concerto. Although even that was preferable. As to 'Curse of the Werewolf';off topic,but wasn't that the one with Oliver Reed?!

Marcus

Alan mentioned the Symphony by Hubert Clifford (1904-59) in another post, but I believe the Symphony no2 (1940)by Edgar Bainton,(1880-1956), on the same disc, is a good example of the English symphony.in the 1930's(Chandos #9757)
Bainton emigrated to Australia in 1934, and remained in Sydney until his death in 1956.
The 2nd symphony is a wonderful work,written in a late romantic idiom, and one which was played regularly by the Sydney Symphony Orchestra in the 1950/60's. It is basically a single movement work, but after the 1st "mvt " Andante, lasting 5'37", there are 11 shorter movements, which are cleverly combined to produce a symphony of 27'21".
The music evokes for me, images & a soundscape of the Australian bush at dawn. I doubt if Bainton ever visited the vast western plain of NSW where I lived, but his imagery probably reflected the Lakes District in England.
Baintons handling of woodwinds & brass results in an orchestral colour which is very English, reminiscent of Bax, Vaughan Williams & Arthur Butterworth. His 3rd symphony in C minor (Dutton #CDLX 7185) is equally impressive.
Another symphonist from this period is Eugene Goossens,(1893-1962) who wrote two very fine symphonies. no1 in 1940 & no2 in 1945. They have been recorded by the ABC. (No1 ABC-CD #462-014-2, and no2 ABC-CD #442-364-2). Goossens musical language resembles that of Walton &Bax. Both of these composers worked for many years in Australia.
John Joubert's Symphony no1 is a  tonal work in 4 mvts,(31'17"), written in 1955,and in the words of the composer "Though very much a youthful work - it was composed while I was still in my twenties - I would nevertheless claim that it represents my coming-of-age as a composer. Conceived as a traditionally four movement structure and scored for a classical symphony orchestra (with the addition of a small part for piano), it is a substantial undertaking which makes few concessions to the largely non-professional status of the orchestra for which it was composed. (Hull Philharmonic Orchestra) The musical language and the forms which it articulates, are fundamentally tonal in nature and bears all the hallmarks both of tradition I felt I was heir to and my then current enthusiasms: (the work of Shostakovich - later to become a major influence- was largely unknown to me at this time: indeed many of his later-period-works had yet to be written.) "(Lyrita #SRCD 322)
Marcus.

Pengelli

The Bainton was the work that impressed me. Mind you,my enjoyment of the Clifford Symphony ,via an off air recording on ye olde cassette tape,was marred by a side break, (remember those?).

Pengelli

The 3rd is supposed to be even better,but the odd coupling on the Dutton cd has put me off buying the recording,so far. (Even though I usually like Boughton,I would have preferred an all Bainton,or Boughton cd,myself).

Marcus

Hello Pengelli,
The Bainton 3rd (in 4 mvts , 13'04",7'.00",9'58",12'07"),is worth the price of the CD alone, but don't be put off by Boughton's 1st. It is a very enjoyable work, written in 1905,  in the musical language of England at the time, somewhat similar to Parry & Stanford.
The baritone solo in the final movement was a bit of a let down for me. I would have preferred a full chorus in addition to  the soloist to record Cromwell's demise. But then, that is merely a personal opinion, and the composer is usually right. And having said that, I would have bought the disc to hear this work, regardless of what else was included, so with the coupling of the Bainton symphony, this disc is a great buy.
I would like to hear again the Boughton Diedre Symphony no2 - does anyone know if a recording is still available ?
I have strayed friom the original thread here, but the Bainton symphonies  have saved me .
Marcus.

Pengelli

If you can get the deleted BBC Radio Classics cd at a reasonable price,the Edward Downes performance,from a Radio 3 performance, is very good,and the only one I know of the piece. I remember enjoying the original broadcast. The sound is pretty good,but obviously not SACD state of the art. It is coupled with Boughtons 3rd. I posted about this cd on this message board a little while ago,(see under 'Boughton'). I almost wish the BBC Radio Classics Carlton label had lasted a little longer. I just bought the Downes performance of Bantock's 'Pagan Symphony',and felt the Bax items coupled with it,(Tintagel & Northern Ballads 1 & 2 ),were more appropriate,in terms of mood & atmosphere,than 'Fifine at the Fair',on the Hyperion release. Most of the 'BBC Legends' & 'Testament' releases,so far,bar the Boult release of Brian's 'Gothic',seem a bit mainstream.

Pengelli