News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Mitja Nikisch PC

Started by thalbergmad, Monday 24 February 2014, 19:23

Previous topic - Next topic

thalbergmad

Not wishing to get involved in boring copyright arguments or cause any difficulty to the moderators, I have removed the link even though I thought it was public domain.

Concertingly.

Thal

eschiss1

Since it appears to have been first published no earlier than 1964 and is hence still in copyright most everywhere, I believe, there's little chance of that!

(Sorry to be a PP...)

ecureuil

Just found it on Youtube... the first movement is really beautiful.

Can't find any recordings, though. Anybody knows how to get this PC in good quality and not just from Youtube?

Thanks

Nick

Gareth Vaughan

Your reply, Eric, prompts me to ask a question which you may be able to answer. Nikisch died in 1936 so while an edition of his PC published in 1964 is certainly in copyright, how does that affect the copyright of the MS? And does the publication prevent others from producing a different edition from the original MS? In the UK copyright expires 70 years after the death of the composer, which would make the PC in the public domain. I know copyright law can be a nightmare, but maybe you can shed some light here.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

The CDs are very expensive! I don't see the score of the Nikisch PC among their publications, so I assume it is published by another company.

Wheesht

I remember now that it was the costs that put me off, especially since I did not (and still do not) think I would like the Graunke symphony on the same CD enough to justify the price of the disc.

Alan Howe

It used be available through Amazon.de, but no longer - unfortunately.

thalbergmad

The score of the Nikisch PC was published by Max Eschig, catalogue no. M.E. 6287.

I digitalized the score and posted it on Pianophilia rather than get involved in boring copyright discussions and trawling through the thousand or so words on IMSLP.

It is probably still there if anyone wants to download it. Despite being possibly the most beautiful but depressing work I have ever heard, it must be worth a fresh recording.

Thal

Gareth Vaughan

Can't see it - unless I'm being stupid (which wouldn't surprise me!)

eschiss1

The copyright discussion for your posting the Eschig would have been quite brief- don't get the published score confused with the manuscript, or a silly sentimental desire to follow the law (and not get sued again) with everyone's wish to bore and irritate you...

Gareth Vaughan

I hope I'm not boring or irritating you, Eric.  I just wondered if you knew what was the law in the EU with regard to copyright on MSS. I can't seem to find an answer on the web - or, at least, not one which I understand!!!

cypressdome

A question for those who have seen the Eschig publication: does it actually have a copyright date of 1964 on it?  I ask because the Worldcat entry for this publication appears to be mixed up with a piano concerto written by Sukhi Kang and published by Eschig in 1997 or 1998 (plate  M.E. 9298).  The entry for Nikisch's concerto at the New York Public Library suggests it has no copyright date and carries a plate number of M. E. 6287 which the plate table for Eschig at IMSLP would suggest a publication date of around 1942.  Also, does the score list an editor?  The NYPL entry doesn't.  If the NYPL entry is correct that would suggest the published score is in the public domain in most jurisdictions.

eschiss1

Also, NYPL has, it seems, a AMP coissue, which may indeed complicate some things there.
Hrmm!

cypressdome

Actually, it simplifies matters in the U.S.  If the edition were co-issued by Associated Music Publishers in New York at that time (ca.1941/2) with an invalid copyright notice then that edition was instantly injected into the public domain in the U.S.