If You Had To Be Stuck On An Island W/One Piano Concerto...

Started by J Joe Townley, Thursday 20 February 2014, 02:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

^^
The Atterberg! I think I'll keep that on reserve in case I lose the Stojowski (somehow).
;D

J Joe Townley

I must say that the first unsung concerto I ever heard was on KCBH. Does anyone remember that FM radio station. There were three prominent classical radio stations back in the early 60's KFMU, KCBH, and KFAC. KCBH had this 3-hour program from 8-11 PM Mon-Fri. called "Concerto from Coldwater Canyon" and it was hosted by a guy named Hamilton Williams. (cue  about 1 minute of Nutcracker Grand Pas de Deux, then Hamilton's rich baritone voice), "Good evening. This is Hamilton Williams talking to you from the studios high atop the mountains above Coldwater Canyon, inviting you to your Concerto from Coldwater Canyon--three hours of the finest classical music." (Cue in Nutcracker Grand Pas de Deux again until the oboe enters about 2 minutes in, then the music fades out). "And tonight we're going to be listening to....then in the second hour...finally we will be hearing..."

And some of these programs were taped because I recall via my "FM and Fine Arts" magazine, which had all the listings for all the classical music played for the month on all 5 or so classical operating stations at the time, this one program that always led off with Hummel's Concerto in B Minor Opus 89 played by the only pianist who'd made a recording of it at that time, Martin Galling. Fell in love with the Hummel B Minor. Remember vividly standing at the sink washing dishes with my older brother's AM-FM and listening intently to the concerto on several nights when that particular pre-taped program would be scheduled. Ah, nice to tromp down memory lane once in a while, when times were much more innocent.

For those who remember this program:

http://www.rogermartin.org/kcbh.html

Alan Howe

QuoteI'm taking the concerto by conductor Evgeny Svetlanov.

I'm not surprised. It's glorious. Your post prompted me finally to get hold of the three-CD set Of Svetlanov's own music, and it turns out to be a treasure-chest of Russian romanticism. The PC, in two movements (Andante-Allegro) is certainly worth anyone's attention. I shall certainly be playing it again! And again!

Mark Thomas

How odd. Not prompted by this thread at all, but by an article on conductor-composers in the new issue of Gramophone, I too searched out and downloaded this afternoon some of Svetlanov's orchestral music. Samples of the orchestral music can be heard here, and of the Piano Concerto here.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe