Roffredo Caetani Piano Works

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 17 November 2013, 05:17

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

(Yes, a relative of Markevitch, his 2nd wife and their son Oleg Caetani.)  (1871-1961. Last Duke of Sermoneta.  Student of Sgambati. Earlier works, I gather (to 1930 or so?) mostly Romantic in style in both directions (progression and dissonance) if late-Romantic (e.g. his F minor quartet).
Not familiar with the piano works on the CD (might include his piano sonata published 1894- ok, that I just did look at :) ... - or his set of piano pieces Op.9 from ca.1902), ... though I have had a look at a few other works of his in score/parts (via Sibley Library/IMSLP) -  2 string quartets, piano quintet in F-sharp minor, orchestral works (5-plus symphonic preludes). Anyhow, Brilliant Classics has announced a CD of some of his music- first I've heard of offhand?- some piano works, due out, like the Rubinstein violin sonatas aforementioned, in early 2014. 
(Seems to have concentrated on opera starting in the 1920s...)
Intrigues me...

Not-much-detail-y link to monitor (if anyone's interested besides me) which I presume will have more detail in future)-

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Piano-Music/hnum/3790075

Jonathan

Sorry to resurrect an old topic but I bought this and it arrived yesterday...

I will post some thoughts when i have had a chance to listen!

eschiss1

Thanks! It seems these works are about contemporary with those works at Sibley // IMSLP, so I am particularly interested in hearing about them. (The piano sonata is already @ IMSLP if one wishes to read along - not PD-EU given his date of death, mind.)

(Besides opera after 192x there's also this one-off (not contradicting "concentrated on"- though I have no worklist, maybe there's more like this- I need to check e.g. opac.sbn.it under Caetani :), there'll be far more there than @ Worldcat to be sure... -edit: 31 things under Caetani, Roffredo. Maybe I should weaken my search terms...- ) published in 1937 though composed I know not when...

"Il Canto dei Tre Bimbi per Piano e 3 Soprani", ©1937.

There's is a book listed at SBN

"Roffredo Caetani : la personalità, la cultura, la musica" published by the Fondazione Roffredo Caetani in 2011 that I presume contains authoritative information about his music and biography. There is also a worklist at the Caetani family foundation's website.