Paul Juon Orchestral Works Vol. 1

Started by Wheesht, Friday 09 May 2014, 18:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

This is a release that I for one have long been waiting for: Paul Juon Orchestral Works Vol. 1 Sterling CD 1103-2   
It contains the Symphony in A major op. 23 plus Vægtervise (Fantasy on Danish Folk Songs) Op. 31, with the Moscow SO conducted by Christof Escher. It cannot be found on the Sterling website yet, but the Juon Society lists it.

Mark Thomas

Yes, I understand than we can expect several discs of Paul Juon orchestral works in quick succession from Sterling.

Wheesht

I have just ben told that Vol. 1 will be available in shops and online June.

Alan Howe

The Symphony dates from 1903, so it should be fascinating to see what Juon was writing then. Apparently a successful performance of the work was given in Meiningen in 1905, with Fritz Steinbach (1855-1916) conducting the famous orchestra there.

Mark Thomas

Apparently, there will be several symphonies in the Sterling series.

Friesner

Good news indeed.  Now how about the violin concerti?  I simply cannot afford the one and only copy I've seen for sale of the old Sybille Tschopp recording of one of them - and in any case, that's just one; I want 'em all!

I do believe I had seen (via the Juon Society web site) that there was a Naxos orchestral disc in the works, to be recorded in Moscow and released early this year.  But the mention is gone now and I've got no further hint anywhere else.  And of course no release of the disc.  Anybody know anything, or am I merely remembering a fantasy I had?   ;D

Also - Amazon US now lists another disc played by pianist Igor Kraevsky, titled Satyre und Nymphen and containing a number of Juon's piano miniatures that have not shown up elsewhere.  I ordered a copy an hour ago so no comments to be made just yet, but I'm eagerly waiting!!  Here's the US listing:

http://www.amazon.com/Satyre-Und-Nymphen-Paul-Juon/dp/B00J0BBY28/ref=pd_ybh_1

Wheesht

The next disc to follow on Sterling will be Juon's first symphony, in F sharp.

mbhaub

This is welcome news. I've enjoyed listening to and playing Juon's chamber music for several years - much of it very enjoyable. And can anyone more literate in languages than I am give the proper pronunciation of "Juon"?

Friesner

I had heard (or seen) "YOU-on" which seems to me to work in either Russian or German. 

Wheesht

YOUen (with a 'schwa' sound) is correct. In 1998 there was a programme about Juon on Bavarian radio that was really good, but for some reason they thought the name had to be pronounced as if it was French...

eschiss1

and I see MPH has released e.g. a score of one of the violin concertos, of the Rhapsodic symphony op.95 and of his cello concerto op.45. By my reckoning that can only help things too...

Friesner

Wheesht - I'm thinking that, once Juon moved 'back' to Vevey and the Swiss more or less adopted him as their own, the presumption of French origin took over.  For the longest time that's what I was calling him, until I learned otherwise....

Wheesht

You may well be right as far as French speaking Vevey is concerned, but the family originally came from the canton of Graubünden/Grisons, which is German, Rumantsch and Italian speaking.

mahesi

Thanks for the news. That will be interesting and I'll buy the CD as soon as possible. You can find the score of the symphony on the imslp site:
Link removed (see next post - MT)

eschiss1

please do not direct-link to PDFs on IMSLP; even if it works (which I doubt) it violates our (the site's) agreement with Universal Edition (for resolving copyright-related issues caused by differing © regimes across the world.), memory-serves anyway (after they hit us with a cease-and-desist order after which IMSLP was down for 2 years or so.)  Also, linking to the workpage allows access to any parts, reduced scores, etc. and information about the work, not just the PDF itself.

The seriously preferred link is

Symphony 2, Op.23.

(Hrm, he died in 1940. I forgot. Ok, this is more a concern with composers who died 1944 or later - e.g. Medtner, Myaskovsky, Lazzari, Sinigaglia... But in principle , yes. Though of course different links, depending.)

Tenku. :D