Paul Juon Orchestral Works Vol. 1

Started by Wheesht, Friday 09 May 2014, 18:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Friesner - you can listen to the Juon VC No.2 with Sybillle Tschopp on the Swissinfo website, which I think must be a Swiss governmental website

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/culture/Swiss_Violin_Concertos.html?cid=31813852

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

I understand that the two Sterling CDs will be released in September/October.

Alan Howe

...with apologies for the poor quality image!

ken

Paul Juon Orchestral Works Vol. 1 has been released by Sterling.

You can listen to samples here:
http://www.sterlingcd.com/catalogue/cds1103.html

Alan Howe

Thanks, ken. My copy is already on order from Sweden...

Alan Howe

Oh dear. I don't think this early Symphony in A (it dates from 1903) is going to make many friends for Juon. Its Achilles heel is the first movement which, on first hearing, strikes me as academic, pedantic and not at all attractive. The scherzo which follows has rather leaden boots, but is an improvement, and then come a very appealing, melodic slow movement and a finale with plenty of spirit and impact. The idiom is a rather odd mixture of Brahms (I almost said Reger!) and Tchaikovsky. It is what it is - a rather unimaginative work by a composer who hadn't yet found his true voice.

I'm hoping that even earlier Symphony in F sharp minor (from 1895) will prove more attractive, but I'm not holding my breath... 

Wheesht

I have not got the Sterling CD yet, but I remember quite enjoying the symphony performed by Christof Escher in Zurich a few years ago. Mario Venzago will conduct the Bern Symhony orchestra in a performance of this symphony in December. In an interview in their concert programme for this season, he mentions that he and the orchestra have been approached by CPO "to look after Juon a bit" and a first CD is to include the second symphony and the Triple Concerto. It will be interesting, at certainly for me, to be able to compare recordings.

Alan Howe

It's hard to imagine anyone doing much with the truly turgid opening movement. IMHO, of course. Much more interesting is the coupling on the CD, Vægtervise (Fantasy on Danish Folk Songs) Op.31. Gorgeous! Perhaps Juon knew that his true talents lay elsewhere...

Wheesht

Just out of curiosity, Alan – where did you get the CD from? I usually buy Sterling from Toccata in Sweden, but the link from the Sterling site to Toccata does not work and Toccata doesn't have the CD listed yet. As you can see, I am still eager to get it - even if it should turn out to be mostly for the coupling.

Alan Howe

That's where I got the CD from. I usually email Mr Hoff direct and he then sends me a PayPal link.

Wheesht

Thanks, I'll try contacting him direct.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

So far I have only listened to the Symphony's opening movement which, as others have said, is indeed a disconcerting mixture of Tchaikovsky and Brahms. Not in the good way which Taneiev achieved,  but in a lumpy episodic structure which, at first hearing, I found  devoid of melodic or harmonic interest. Still, three more movements and Vægtervise to go. Nil desperandum.

Mark Thomas

I have warmed to this CD.  Not the Symphony's opening movement, of course, which can't shake off its student pretentiousness and its constant veerings from Brahms to Tchaikovsky as models, but the other three movements, all of which are more consistently Russian in style. The Scherzo could certainly be a bit more fleet of foot, but that could be the interpretation, and its material is attractive enough. The Romanza slow movement is really poetic. It's gorgeously orchestrated and shows all the restraint which the first movement lacked. The Finale teeters on the edge of, but just about avoids, the opening movement's earnestness and settles down to be a vivacious and effective conclusion to this flawed work. The Danish folksong fantasy Vægtervise is a sumptuous wallow, with bags of colour and atmosphere. Lovely. It and the Symphony's final three movements certainly encourage me to hope that successive releases in Sterling's Juon cycle will be rewarding experiences.