Cipriani Potter Quartet in G major (1837)

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 14 May 2014, 14:01

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I think we used to have a recording of this work uploaded, but because of some problems mentioned elsewhere perhaps (I'm guessing that's why :( ) it's no longer accessible. In any event, I see that Matesic has typeset the manuscript and uploaded both his new edition and a new recording of the work also over to

IMSLP -- thanks!

matesic

"Romantic" in date but not in style, I'd say. He was obviously well versed in Haydn and Mozart and picked up a few things from Beethoven (the part-writing in the Andantino feels distinctly odd in places), but not incorporated much fresh thinking of his own. Having said that, was a better string quartet written by an English composer in the next 50 years?

eschiss1

BTW I changed the "style" to Romantic because strictly speaking (on IMSLP) the set of pieces in the category "Romantic" includes all pieces composed by "Romantic" composers (and Potter is reasonably so defined on IMSLP) - so it's just a site-specific thing. :)

Hrm. Well, I still want to know how Julius Benedict's string quartet in C minor (No.2, ca.1880; his No.1 in E major is from ca.1825 and wouldn't qualify for the 1837-1887 range) sounds (or even reads; I don't know it) (though he's German-English, and that may be considered disqualifying, or may not...)

britishcomposer

Has anyone realised that he re-uses the second subject of the finale of his G minor Symphony from 1832 in the finale of the Quartet? He develops it differently (and quite successfully I think) but I prefer the symphonic statement for its modulatory freshness. I would like to know the reason why he did re-use it. Any Potter experts around?

BTW, ONE reason because we can no longer access Albion's British Music Folders is that he had to restructure the whole thing because it had become difficult to handle. The reason why we cannot access it NOW is because Albion is no longer among us to provide us with the new links. I am not sure if it would be right to place the link of the new folders from the AMF here ...
The member who originally provided the recording was Dylan who was last active at UC in December last year. So, if anyone is interested in the recording by the Fairfield Quartet I would suggest he should contact Dylan.

eschiss1

Ah ok. Google Cache suggested that Mark provided it, actually...

britishcomposer

Oh, sorry, then I was mistaken. Albion's labelling system is a bit complicated. ;)

matesic

I notice one of the two symphonies formerly available here (C minor, dated 1834) is the same as one currently on youtube, dated 1826! Also on youtube is the D major symphony of 1834. If nobody else feels like doing it, I'll put the G minor back on mediafire. All the symphonies seem to predate the string quartet, and I find them rather more impressive. Britishcomposer is quite right about the second subject of the G minor's finale - was Potter running out of ideas by 1837?

The main composers occupying the 50-year string quartet slump were Macfarren and Ellerton. Macfarren was clearly the more accomplished and some of his movements (particularly the scherzos) are exciting, but overall I can't say I find his 5 surviving quartets entirely convincing. Ellerton's have a certain easy charm but no drama or innovation. The 20-odd that I've played through all come from pretty much the same mould.