News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unsung in Berlin?

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 03 April 2014, 15:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I see that Elgar 2 (sung here, of course) has been recorded by Daniel Barenboim in Berlin:
http://www.mdt.co.uk/elgar-symphony-no-2-staatskapelle-berlin-daniel-barenboim-decca.html
It'll be fascinating to see what a world-class German orchestra makes of this repertoire (unfamiliar to them, surely).

mbhaub

It'll be more interesting to see what Barenboim makes of the symphony now. His earlier recording, with the London Philharmonic, was thrilling, albeit different from other recordings that orchestra made with other conductors. Barenboim has recorded first-rate cycles of symphonies of Beethoven, Brahms, Schumann, and some Mahler with the Berlin group. If the Elgar is on the same level, this could be a real winner (I assume he'll do the 1st and hope he'll do the 3rd.)

Alan Howe

No.1 is supposed be released in 2015.

mbhaub

Alan Howe

It's a very fine performance indeed. Gives the lie to the notion that Elgar doesn't travel.

BerlinExpat

QuoteGives the lie to the notion that Elgar doesn't travel.

But he really doesn't seem to travel. Berliners are probably only aware of 6 works by Elgar. I'll leave you to imagine which.
Last week Elgar's 2nd symphony was on the Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester's programme, filling the second half of the concert. Regrettably the Philharmonie wasn't so well filled after the interval. It seems the attraction was not Elgar, but Daniil Trifonov playing Tchaikovsky's warhorse. One reviewer even said those who missed the Elgar were to be congratulated without giving one word of explanation! So long as Baremboim and Rattle restrict themselves to the well known musical fare, I would suggest Elgar stands little chance here.
Much the same can be said of Vaughan Williams, whose music never seems to get beyond The Lark Ascending and Thomas Tallis. At least the DSO are making some progress next season with the 4th and 6th symphonies.  :)

Alan Howe

The reviews of Barenboim's Elgar 2 have been mixed. David Hurwitz disliked it, but others have lauded it to the skies. I think it's terrific - very passionate and impetuous, almost dangerous. For Barenboim and his great orchestra this piece obviously does travel.

As for the Berliners' musical taste, well that's their loss. Shame on them. But I wonder whether they would even stay to hear their own unsung countrymen. What if Draeseke 3 or Berger 2 were programmed? Would the result be any different?

mbhaub

Glad to hear you liked it - that means I'll buy it. I read the BBC Magazine review and they sure liked it. Then a couple of days later the Classics Today review you mentioned by Hurwitz. Almost complete opposites. That's what I hate about reviews - they both can't be right, there must be a more objective way. But I suppose human nature and built in biases can't ever be eliminated. Anyway, thanks for the input, I'll order it today. The recent Bis recording was also rather divisive - and I loved it, too.

alberto

In the present season in Berlin there was also "The Dream of Gerontius" conducted by Andrew Davis, that Daniel Barenboim (with different choral and orchestral forces ) had conducted two years ago.

Alan Howe

That's encouraging. Wonder how well it was attended.
How daft this idea of music not travelling is, though: after all, wasn't it the great Hans Richter (b.in Hungary) who, at the first rehearsal in London for Elgar 1, said, addressing his orchestra: "Gentlemen, let us now rehearse the greatest symphony of modern times, written by the greatest modern composer – and not only in this country."?

alberto

I forgot to indicate that Daniel Barenboim and the Berlin Staatskapelle will make two longish tournèes touching a lot of European countries and Elgar's Second Symphony will be among the (few) works programmed.

Alan Howe

Thanks, alberto. It would be interesting to read reviews of these concerts and to hear about the audiences' reactions.