Alexis de Castillon: Piano Trios

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 09 July 2014, 17:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

More rarities from that fine, short-lived French composer Alexis de Castillon: the Trio Nuori play his two Piano Trios Opp.4 and 17 on a new CD/download just issued by Ligia. Track listing and audio extracts at Qobuz here. Both works (one early, the other his last composition) are pretty much what you'd expect from their composer: urbane, melodic and owing a lightly-worn debt to Schumann. Each is in four movements and last around half an hour. Op.4 is the more carefree of the two; it could almost be a suite. Op.17 is more characteristic of its creator, I think. There is more intensity to it, and this strikes me as the stronger, more serious work. I must say that so far I haven't heard anything by de Castillon which doesn't deserve preservation.

By the way, before anyone corrects me, the booklet confirms that de Castillon allocated Op.17 to his Paraphrase du 84ème Psaume for soloists, double choir and orchestra, but the Trio was nonetheless printed posthumously as Op.17.

eschiss1

Intriguing -- thanks! Have been hoping to hear more by him myself. Have heard at least a string quartet so far (@IMSLP) and maybe other works...

Alan Howe

I'd forgotten about these recordings, so decided to order the CD when I came across it again. In short, the music is nothing short of sublime. It's shameful that neither work is in the standard repertoire.

Mark Thomas

True, true. De Castillon is one of those very rare composers whose small output seems to contain not a single dud.