News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Chapi string quartets

Started by eschiss1, Monday 15 April 2013, 14:49

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

According to Worldcat, Chapi wrote at least 4 string quartets... interesting. I didn't know he even wrote that one. Any idea of the composition or publication date scheme?... (Actually, all of them were recorded in 2006 on a local CD by a group called "Cuarteto de Cuerda Manuel Canales." See Worldcat. Maybe the notes to that CD have the information in q(uestion :) ). The first in G, the second in F, the third in D, the fourth in B or B-flat (probably B, B-flat would be si bemol menor) minor, that much I see from the work publication titles...  (en fa, re mayor, ...)

hrm! Also recorded still earlier (2000) by the Brodsky quartet, two years after being republished in a new integral edited by Luis G Iberni as part of     Música hispana (Instituto Complutense de Ciencias Musicales)., Series C, Antologías , 5. Recorded twice as a set in the last 13 years but I've never heard of any of them (though I have heard of his symphony). Well- thanks! and - the more the merrier. Started with quartets, love the medium, ... (and still interested in information. If anyone has the first-edition scores -- not the 1998 edition - and is willing to scan them in to IMSLP e.g. (assuming they were published before 1923 etc. - then thanks in advance :) )

eschiss1

Ah. according to a website, (review at Zarzuela.net)

Chapi: String Quartets No.1 in G major (1903), No.2 in F major (1904), No.3 in D major (1905), No.4 in B flat minor (1907)

(Hrm- no.4 - I'm a bit surprised by B-flat minor since the score supposedly says Si menor, which is B minor, not B-flat minor-  unlike the often-mistranslated H-moll/H-dur/B-moll-B/dur-b/B/bb/Bb.). Ah well.)

(OTOH A Research and Information Guide to string quartets has B minor. So does an unofficial track listing of the Brodsky Quartet. From which btw the movements of no.1 in G major, 1903, are:

1. Allegro moderato
2. Andante mosso
3. Allegro molto vivace
4. Moderato

Anyone have the opening to the first fast part of the first movement of the score of no.4 in scan? 2-sharps, 5-flats, anyone?... :D )

JimL

Si menor is B minor, not B-flat minor.  I'd take the B-flat as a mistake.

Balapoel

Well, for what it's worth:

String Quartet No. 1 in G (1903)
String Quartet No. 2 in F (1904)
String Quartet No. 3 in D (1905)
String Quartet No. 4 in b minor (1907)

also
Romanza in Ab
Piano Trio in D (1876) incomplete

semloh

Many thanks to "Richard Wagner", for uploading the 1st String Quartet  ;) but in all honesty I was disappointed - perhaps his subsequent quartets are better? I found it instantly forgettable, and Chapi didn't seem at ease with the medium. The writing didn't establish a sense of ensemble and the result sounded - well - rather amateurish. It's hard to believe that the same composer is responsible for so much great ensemble writing, and so many charming melodies, in the zarzuelas!