News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Robert Radecke chamber music

Started by Wheesht, Sunday 14 September 2014, 06:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

The Swiss Trio Fontane are playing chamber music by Robert Radecke (1830-1911) in a few concerts in the coming weeks. On 14 October they will record these pieces for cpo - in collaboration with Swiss radio, so presumably there will be a broadcast:

- Trio für Pianoforte, Violine und Violoncello in As-Dur op. 30: Allegro molto vivace - Scherzo: Presto fuocoso - Andante sostenuto - Allegro
appassionato. Exzellenz Illaire gewidmet
- Drei Fantasiestücke für Pianoforte und Violoncello op. 7: Andante – Moderato – Presto. Andreas Grabau gewidmet
- 2. Trio für Pianoforte, Violine und Violoncello in h-Moll op. 33: Allegro appassionato - Andante molto espressivo - Scherzo: Allegro molto
vivace - Allegro ma non troppo. Anton Rubinstein gewidmet

Alan Howe

This is fascinating news. Thanks very much indeed!

Wheesht

I'm planning to attend one of the concerts, on 28 September, and I am very much looking forward to it. The concert organiser is the composer's great-grandson.

eschiss1

Aramiarz

Dear Wheesht
   Hello! Can you to to concert for listen Radecke ?  Have you more cd's music from him?

eschiss1

There is a recording of his symphony in F major - probably a private one, I think. The Zurich library has it, anyway. See this for a description.  I didn't know that recording existed, though.  Worldcat also lists recordings from the same source - Radio DRS - of his Piano Trio in A-flat Op.30, and some lieder and choral collections that contain individual works of his (mostly, I think, his most famous work relatively speaking, Aus der Jugendzeit.)

Wheesht

I am going to the Radecke chamber music concert today - greatly looking forward to it! I was not aware of the recordings of the Symphony and the Piano Trio. Both are indeed held at the "Musiksammlung" of the Zurich library, but they are both marked as "not to be used", presumably because they are archive recordings (the Trio at least bears that description). I will be in Zurich tomorrow and can try to find out more from the library. The good news regarding the symphony is that the Symphony Orchestra Biel Solothurn conducted by Kaspar Zehnder will play it in several concerts next March and that it will be recorded by CPO.

Aramiarz

Dear Wheesht, congratulations  for your travel!! That You enjoy the concert! Please share with us your impressions! It's very good new the near recording And release from Naxos! Anyone listened the symphony? What is the opinion about this work, I found that the second symphony by Rudorff was dedicated to Radecke Robert.

eschiss1

Really? Not according to the title page of the score, which gives "Ernst Curtius" as the dedicatee. What am I missing?

Alan Howe

QuoteThe good news regarding the symphony is that the Symphony Orchestra Biel Solothurn conducted by Kaspar Zehnder will play it in several concerts next March and that it will be recorded by CPO

That's great news. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Aramiarz

Dear Eschiss1

Sorry ! Have You reason, the work that Rudorff dedicated to Radecke is Ouvertüre zu Ludwig Tieck's Märchen Der blonde Ekbert : für Orchester, op. 8 /

The Rudorff's second symphony was dedicated to Curtius, have You idea about who is he?

eschiss1

Wikipedia says he was an archaeologist and historian of note, born 1814, died 1896- 6 years after the publication of the symphony. A friend, or just someone admired and respected, by the composer?...

I wonder if the 3rd symphony has a dedicatee lacking from our IMSLP copy, though... hopefully the cpo notes will clarify. :) 

Am curious about those Radecke piano trios, one of which (see IMSLP) we have in score & parts over there...) looking forward to hearing that report :)

Wheesht

Here is, for what it's worth, my brief, amateurish report on the concert with the Piano Trios: I enjoyed both of them very much, they were full of variety and rich in melody, more reminiscent of Schumann (and Schubert) than Brahms, but original in their own right - and they had three excellent and enthusiastic advocates in the Trio Fontane. The CD will be a must buy item for me, and I only hope the musicians were right when they said that it should become available within about a year (not that I have nothing else to listen to meanwhile...)

Alan Howe

Sounds like good, solid, attractive stuff - and a highly desirable CD. Thanks for the report.

Aramiarz

Dear Wheesht
   Thank You very much for You appreciations! Very interesting works! I hope that very soon are available in cd. Other question, have You listened de Radecke's symphony? Or any comment about it?