News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Fernand de Tombelle

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 25 November 2012, 18:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mention of this composer (dates: 1854-1928) elsewhere has led me to this lovely-sounding release:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Fernand-de-la-Tombelle-1854-1928-Kammermusik/hnum/3169900
Does anybody know his music?

jerfilm

There's another disc of his music with a piano trio, among other things.  Of course, have not heard it yet since I just ordered them from France......

The Cello Sonata disc is available as an MP3 download for 9.99 USD from http://goprotunes.com/72/101/

J

jerfilm

These two CDs arrived yesterday from Amazon.fr and I must say I am pleased with what I hear.   If you like chamber music with piano, you should love them.  Piano Trio, Violin Sonata, Cello Sonata and a collection of other works for piano and stringed instruments. 

He has an impressive background.  This information from the Classical Composer Database:

The French organist and composer Antoine Louis Joseph Gueyrand Fernand (Fouant) de La Tombelle first studied music with his mother, who was a pupil of Liszt and Thalberg. Later he studied the organ with Guilmant and composition with Théodore Dubois at the Paris Conservatory.

Wikipedia has a lengthy article on him, in French and shows quite a number of compositions including a Fantasy for piano and orchestra, several orchestral suites, lots of vocal music and of couirse, compositions for his organ.   The liner notes say that he composed some 600 works!   Another prolific Roentgenesk kind of composer that nobody's heard of ??!!

T'would be interesting to hear more of his work.

Jerry

petershott@btinternet.com

Many thanks to Alan and Jerry for alerting us to this composer - CDs ordered (ah, when will it ever end? Can the shelves take any more?)

In trying to discover more about Fernand de Tombelle, I encountered yet another French composer who is also unknown to me - Emile Goue. The interest whetted, that led to further orders, but I'll keep silence since whilst he is certainly unsung (at least in English speaking countries) he does not appear a 'romantic' composer.

Aramiarz

This composer is interesting, I found his piano Fantasie only in reduction for 2 pianos,  :'(
He wrote a lot of pieces for Voice And piano And chotis, etc. He wrote 2 orchestral suites,
Impressions matinales And the second suite is named Livre d'images, he wrote too interesting works for organ as sonate 2 this cd comes with the 6th by Widor, too wrote Les sept paroles du Christ (as Dubois, Haydn, etc)

eschiss1

French National Library has a large number of items by La Tombelle (Fernand de la Tombelle-  the name above is incorrect, though "la" should be lowercase, yes). Perhaps the full score & parts of the fantaisie can be found therein? (Hrm, maybe not. Still, maybe Richault, the publisher, has the parts in their archives still?)

BNF does have sets of parts for the various items of his 1st orchestral suite, though it seems that no.2 is lacking some of the parts? - see http://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb43096107w/PUBLIC.  (Hrm, I think I misread- based on some other listed items, I think it means, set of parts, movement two lacks. The other movements, in parts, are listed as individual card entries, though not no.2, it seems. Hrm. Got it now. So "II manque". Got it ...) The 2nd suite in parts & score also seems to be there. Some of this material is digitized/uploaded by the library already, e.g. the http://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb43096034h/PUBLIC (berceuse).

Aramiarz

Dear Eschiss1
Thank You for your research, You have reason about the correct name And too the BNF. They have some much pieces, chiefly Voice works. I think that they have score And parts of the two suites.
The only way for validate this, it will be ordering from them. I wait soon to do it, And them I can say You more about this. I have the impression that they haven't the fantasy in his orchestral form. Richault was bought for Eschig-Durand group?

eschiss1

Seems that way to me too. On the other hand, Salabert-Durand-Eschig site doesn't seem to have heard of any Tombelle. Let's see. Richault was sold to Costallat in 1898, and Costallat seems to have been divided between Billaudot and Éditions Jobert... so no, actually, not S-D-E, but rather Billaudot or Jobert, let's try those...

Searching for Tombelle @ Gérard Billaudot turns up just 8 things- though maybe they have it in the back rooms... no luck at Jobert's site either.  Something must exist somewhere or else the recent recordings of his chamber works are then just from library-available mostly public-domain items such as we have on IMSLP... or something.