Poème etc. by Gabriel Dupont

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 03 May 2014, 10:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

jdperdrix

I've not heard this version. But the "Poème" is a beautiful quintet for piano and string quartet.

eschiss1

Oh, thanks- didn't see. Score and parts to the poème here, btw (the site has 9 other works by Dupont uploaded in some form or other.)

Allmusic Guide lists one recording, on Timpani (timing 33:20 for its three movements)- I wonder how the new one contrasts even in that one very limited respect :)

jdperdrix

Timings are very similar:
1. Sombre et douloureux Timpani = 15:22 Mirare = 15:30
2. Clair et calme Timpani = 5:36 Mirare = 5:31
3. Joyeux et ensoleillé Timpani = 12:03 Mirare = 12:56

The plus of the Mirare record are two short pieces for violin and piano "Journée de printemps", in the same spirit as the "Poème".

eschiss1

Spring Day, "Morning" and "Evening" - we have the first of those over at IMSLP too ("borrowed" from Gallica.bnf.fr)

eschiss1

are there any recordings of his songs? I see a few at Gallica in score that look interesting...

mikehopf

Dupont's complete songs have been recorded by Florence Katz on the  Timpani label available from Qobuz.

Aramiarz

If you have interest in listen extraits of the works by Dupont, please follow this link, the inicial piece is of Widor 5th organ symphony. This is for understand the relation with Dupont, whom was his disciple, moreover studied with Massenet.

http://www.codigoradio.cultura.df.gob.mx/index.php/la-vida-secreta/17338-gabriel-dupont

Aramiarz

The orchestral legacy of Dupont is forgotten, only the verist oper La Cabrera was available in (Bongiovanni)

Dupont, Gabriel (1878-1914)
Gabriel Dupont. Le Chant de la destinée (symphonic poem)
Heugel

Gabriel Dupont. La Farce du cuvier : Ouverture. Intermède pastoral
Heugel

Antar, opéra. Partition d'orchestre. Actes I à IV
Heugel, éditeur

La Glu. Gabriel Dupont
Heugel