Algernon Ashton Piano Sonatas vol.1

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 20 March 2010, 12:58

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Several pieces of interesting-looking chamber music (well, I think it is) by him @IMSLP (and hopefully even more in the worklist that at least still survive and are performable). I hope a concurrent series of his larger-ensemble works might be planned too, even though that's even more doubtful.

albion

Quote from: giles.enders on Saturday 23 June 2012, 10:19It is now June 2012 and still no sign of volume two of the Ashton Sonatas from either Dutton or Toccata!

There's no sign of anything yet from Dutton in terms of July releases,

:(

unless any other members have insider information ....

???

Alan Howe

Quote from: Albion on Saturday 23 June 2012, 18:20
There's no sign of anything yet from Dutton in terms of July releases

They don't usually advertise particularly early, do they?

albion

With only one week of June remaining, I would hardly regard advertising releases for July now as 'early'. Usually, additions to the Dutton website can be found at least a couple of weeks in advance (albeit squirreled away in the back pages, often requiring final editing).

???

Alan Howe

Indeed - we usually seem to find out what's coming before the official announcement.

antiquary

In case anyone is still out there, 2 years after the conversation seems to have ended, I can report that Dutton will not be issuing Volume 2 of the Ashton sonatas, even though the master with the other 4 sonatas has been ready to go for a long time.  They have changed their focus, and it doesn't include solo piano, British or otherwise, at least at the moment.  You might find the album released within the next year or two on another label though.

I cannot speak for Toccata's plans re Ashton.

Sibeliusfan

What a shame. I love the first volume and hoped for the second.

Aramiarz

Sadly in all these projects is envolved the economical aspect, maybe they don't sell good the first volume!!! :'(