News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Dvorak Alfred

Started by mikehopf, Friday 02 January 2015, 22:28

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Broadcast performance tonight on Czech Radio of Dvorak's first opera : Alfred.  Written to a German text , this performance in Prague in September is only the second time that the opera has been given an airing.

scottevan

As a long time appreciatior of Dvorak's unheard operas (virtually all of them, apart from "Russalka") I was thrilled to see the notice for this world premiere performance of certainly his  rarest operatic work. Though I can't say it rose to the heights of "Vanda" or "Dmitrij"  (my favorites) it certainly did not disappoint. Wonderful choral sections and ensembles, quite mature orchestration for an early work, and that particular knack Dvorak has of keeping your attention, even in the less flashy sections. The tenor in the title role was a standout, though the leading soprano sounded strained at times. It was a bit disconcerting, however,  to hear this most Czech of composers sung in German, though I understand that was still the official language when "Alfred" was written.

Unfortunately my recording of it isn't complete,  so I'm not the person to upload. It may still be available on Radio Vlatava's (the broadcaster's) website, as I notice they've archived other programs.

Alan Howe

I have just received the new Arcodiva recording...
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2015/Feb/Dvorak_Alfred_UP01402.htm
...of the Prague performance from September 2014 and am listening to it as I type. Frankly it's mostly rather sub-Wagnerian (think Lohengrin) and not terribly distinctive, although Dvorak is incapable of being totally boring. But this is really a historical curiosity with the occasional enjoyable moments, e.g. the choruses - I can't imagine wanting to listen through the pages and pages of declamation very often in order to alight on the passages of genuine beauty or excitement.