Mel Bonis and other female composers - 8 March

Started by Wheesht, Monday 09 February 2015, 11:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

The "Association Mel Bonis" has just sent out an announcement of a concert to be broadcast live on 8 March  (International Women's Day):
The BBC National Orchestra of Wales will be conducted by Jessica Cottis in this programme:
- Augusta Holmès Andromede
- Lili Boulanger d'un matin de Printemps
- Germaine Tailleferre Concerto Grosso for two pianos
- Cecile Chaminade piano concerto
- Mel Bonis Trois Femmes de Légende pour orchestre

http://www.mel-bonis.com/actualite.htm

jerfilm

TerraEpon

Gareth Vaughan

The Concertino (Op. 107) is for flute and orchestra. The Concertstuck (Op. 40) is for piano and orchestra. Chaminade did not, as far as I am aware, write anything she called a piano concerto.

Wheesht

I ought to have checked the information in the concert announcement, but I just looked at the Bonis piece. The conductor's website has the same information, but the BBC site has "Konzertstucke" [sic]

TerraEpon

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 09 February 2015, 21:36
The Concertino (Op. 107) is for flute and orchestra. The Concertstuck (Op. 40) is for piano and orchestra. Chaminade did not, as far as I am aware, write anything she called a piano concerto.

Whoops, that's right. But she also didn't write an actually full fledged concerto (or in fact any concertante work beyond those two). So yeah.
I meant, then, "I'm sure that's actually the Concertstuck"....

Music33

Hello everyone,
Sorry to post in a 3-year-old thread, but has anyone recorded this interesting broadcast, in the end?
All the best!
Music33

Alan Howe

Chaminade's Op.40 is a Concertstück in C sharp minor for piano and orchestra (1888).

Gareth Vaughan

I thought I had made that clear above, apart, that is, from identifying the key of the Concertstuck, which Alan has helpfully done. Most music broadcasters (at least at the BBC) are so ignorant of any music that is not by very mainstream composers that what they write or announce can rarely be relied on for accuracy.

Alan Howe

I was, I'm afraid, being very pedantic. The umlaut is part of the spelling - it had been omitted.

Gareth Vaughan

Nothing wrong with that. Whether a letter has an umlaut or not makes all the difference in a language which employs that diacritic mark.

Alan Howe

Music33

And, back to the topic, has anyone recorded the broadcast? And if it is the case, could he upload it?
At least the Mel Bonis, Cecile Chaminade and Augusta Holmes works would perfectly fit the forum...

semloh

This could have gone under "radio broadcasts' but since it concerns women composers, I'll post it here!

To celebrate International Women's Day, the ABC here in Australia devoted all it broadcasts for a week exclusively to female composers: it was claimed as a "world first". I think most of the composers would be familiar to us here at UC (including many that don't fit our remit) although they were being announced as new discoveries by the presenters. It was a great opportunity to hear neglected works by neglected composers, including Bonis, Chaminade, Price, Smith, and so on. Hats off to the ABC for a superb week!  ;)