News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Enescu's Study Symphonies

Started by Mark Thomas, Saturday 09 January 2010, 22:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Being virtually "snowed in" at present, I've been doing a lot of listening to music I haven't heard for years. Today's batch included two of Enescu's Study Symphonies - Nos.1 and 4. The First is a terrifically dramatic three movement Brahms' "Fifth" whilst the Fourth starts with with a sparklingly Wagnerian hunting movement, reverts to Brahms for the slow movement and then segues into, of all things, a Richard Strauss double fugue finale. In their different ways, despite showing their influences so obviously, each is a very satisfying piece which somehow "works". The most amazing thing is that they were written whilst he was still in his teens. What a huge talent Enescu had.

Sadly, I'm not a lover of his mature music, which always I find to be overwritten and lacking in the spontaneity which is so attractive in his earlier work, but I would dearly love to hear the other two Study Symphonies. They do not seem to have been recorded and I wonder whether anyone has ever come across them?

Alan Howe

Mark is right. These are both terrific symphonies by a gifted musical prodigy. The two Olympia CDs should be sought out with all possible haste (I found used copies on Amazon - I think).

However, I do like the numbered symphonies by Enescu which are certainly complex, even prolix. But they're unlike anything else really.

As Mark says, it'd be good to find out something about the other two Study Symphonies (Nos. 2 & 3). 

DennisS

Hello Alan

I am intrigued by the comments both you and Mark have made regarding the Study Symphonies Nos 1 and 4. I have searched on Amazon and found 3 Olympia cds - Enescu complete Orchestral works Volumes 1, 2 and 3. Only the Study Symphony no 4 is mentioned and this is listed on  Volume 1 of the series. Can you confirm on what Olympia cd, you can find the  no 4 - it sounds particularly interesting.

Cheers
Dennis

Mark Thomas

It's Volume VI of the Olympia series, which has Vox Maris, a symphonic poem for voice & orchestra, and the Ballade for violin & orchestra as well as the Study Symphony No.4. the problem is that Olympia folded a few years ago and so their CDs are difficult to track down and sometimes pricey.

Hovite

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 10 January 2010, 08:16
It's Volume VI of the Olympia series, which has Vox Maris, a symphonic poem for voice & orchestra, and the Ballade for violin & orchestra as well as the Study Symphony No.4. the problem is that Olympia folded a few years ago and so their CDs are difficult to track down and sometimes pricey.

This has got confused. I happen to be listening to Study Symphony No. 4 and it is on Vol. 1 with Symphony No. 1 and Overture on Popular Romanian Themes.

Study Symphony No. 1 is on Vol. 6 with Vox Maris and the Ballade.

Mark Thomas

This is true. I'm indebted to you.

oldman

Any who don't mind not having the physical CD's can download the enesco Olympia CD's and more at:

http://by-legend.info/artist161655/enescu-george/

Update: I just checked a litte further - the site is a front for an outfit in the Russia. You have to give them a credit card in order to download the albums. Unfortunately the quoted cost $.05 US per download seems a little too good to be true. I'm going to forgo this one myself. Others proceed with caution!

Alan Howe

I think more than caution is in order. I'd say: AVOID!!!

sdtom

I did find them on utube and will have a listen to both of them.
Tom

sdtom

I just wish utube had better quality.
Tom