Ries orchestral music on LP from cpo

Started by Mark Thomas, Tuesday 24 February 2015, 08:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

New from cpo on vinyl are some of the shorter orchestral works by Ferdinand Ries which have previously appeared on CD: Don Carlos Overture Op.94, The Bride of Messina Overture Op.162, Grand Festival Overture & Triumph March Op.172 and the Dramatic Overture"L'Apparition" WoO.61. The WDR Sinfoniker Köln is conducted by the very dependable Howard Griffith. Details here.

Alan Howe

Can't imagine they'll sell many on vinyl...

Mark Thomas

Apparently there's a resurgence of interest in vinyl generally, and I suppose the classical market is a prone to it as any other. Odd choice of repertoire, though, considering cpo's only other LPs are Brahms' Third Symphony and six of Handel's organ concertos, arranged as piano concertos.

eschiss1

Haven't even heard of the without-opus work, though this sounds vaguely like a CD of his overtures they released a while back (in that physical medium, I mean).
Family used to- until very recently I think- have a working record player... but the CD version of this (or a download) intrigues [me!] especially now it's been doubly brought to my attention- may look into it later, anyway. (I think some of the works on it may be @IMSLP at least in reduction.)
Thanks!