News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Witt and Hoffmann from CPO

Started by sdtom, Monday 23 February 2015, 19:40

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

Has anyone ever read the reviews Hoffmann did of some of Beethoven's work. I understand there was a book printed of his reviews.
Tom

eschiss1

Here's the review of Beethoven's 5th symphony, in German.

http://85.214.96.74:8080/zbk/zbk-html/A1094.html

("Hoffmann, Ernst Theodor Amadeus: Rezension der 5. Symphonie von Ludwig van Beethoven. In Allgemeine musikalische Zeitung 12 (1810), Nr. 40, Sp. 630–642 u. Nr. 41, Sp. 652–659.")

sdtom

E.T.A. Hoffmann's Writings on Music, Collected in a Single Volume (2004).

This was the book I was talking about. My Minneapolis library doesn't have it. Wish I could read German.
Tom :)

sdtom

Will check it out and decide if it is worth the investment. Thanks for the info.

eschiss1

My public library does (restricted in various ways, depending- no CDs, only certain participating libraries,...) out-of-system interloans (through Worldcat searches)- maybe yours does too? Might be possible for you to borrow it instead of buy it... the 2003 edition (it's originally from 1989) has OCLC 52783394 , most of the 1989 ones are either out-of-country or Internet Resources and probably not ILL-able from within the US by a public library (I'm guessing) so I'd give a go to that last OCLC...

sdtom

My curiosity is the driving force in this but I'm going to follow up on this for sure.
Tom

adriano

E. T. A. Hoffmann was not only a composer and musicologist, but - in first line - one of Germany's greatest Romantic/Fantastic/Grotesque writers! His novels inspired Offenbach, Lortzing, Templeton Strong, Tchaikovsky, Busoni etc. etc. For his own opera "Undine" he did not write a libretto himself, but commissioned Friedrich de la Motte Fouqué, one of Germany's very first Romantic poets. Hoffmann's music is, actually, less crazy and hauting than his novels! There is a (German) Kindle edition of his study on Beethoven (only 9 pages):
http://www.amazon.de/Beethovens-Instrumentalmusik-E-T-Hoffmann-ebook/dp/B0057H0WCW/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425771006&sr=1-2&keywords=e.+t.+a.+hoffmann+music

sdtom

Hoffmann was quite the talent. I always thought that Poe's "Murder in the Rue Morgue" was at least by some to be the first detective story until I found out that "Madame de Scudery" may have influenced him in his writing as well as "Fantasy, Irony, and the Grotesque." Would like to read some of his work.