Gade chamber music vol.1

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 05 March 2015, 05:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...from cpo:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/niels-w-gade-kammermusik-vol-1/hnum/4608253
...contains his String Sextet, Op.44 (with the early version of the first movement) and Piano Trio, Op.42.

eschiss1

Thanks!
It seems from Danish Wikipedia that there's a lot of "miscellaneous" chamber music by Gade (and I'm guessing a lot of versions of his chamber works, unfinished works, fragments, etc.- maybe a look-through of REX - music library catalog of the Danish Royal Library - would give one a hint here; I expect quite a bit of it's been digitized, too) - I wonder how much has already been recorded (by BIS and Kontrapunkt, maybe?), and how much cpo intends to record. I tend to enjoy his music and hope that one or the other answer is "a lot", anyway. :) In cpo's case, including alternate versions of a movement of the sextet seems a promising sign/opening gambit...

Alan Howe

Vol.1 contains the magnificent, euphonious String Sextet written (and) revised in 1863/4. I haven't enjoyed a piece of chamber music for months: it's one of those works which makes you feel glad to be alive. Of course, Gade is often thought of as being a purveyor of the bland in music, but the sheer craftsmanship here is a thing of wonder. And oh, the tunes...