Czerny 48 Preludes & Fugues

Started by Rob H, Thursday 19 February 2015, 13:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob H

Hot on the heels of Naxos' piano concertante disc I noticed this on the jpc site

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/czerny-48-preludes-and-fugues-op-856/hnum/6863034

I have to be honest - I didn't even know he'd written 48 Preludes and Fugues.
Rob

Gareth Vaughan

Neither did I. They can't be very long if they all fit on one CD.

alharris

I downloaded this from iTunes several weeks ago and I've thoroughly enjoyed the music.

BerlinExpat

There are two CDs, each with 24  Preludes and Fugues!

Gareth Vaughan

Ah, I thought that must be the case, but it was not clear on the jpc page because, for some reason, when I first opened it only Tracks 1-24 were shown. Could have been an issue with my browser. Thank you.

eschiss1

IMSLP's Czerny list does mention the Op.856 set (24 preludes, 24 fugues. If this set has 48+48, that's more than I was aware were in Op.856, though.) There are also Prelude & Fugue pairs that comprise other works of his - 12 Preludes & Fugues Op.400 ; 6 Preludes & Fugues Op.603 for organ) and probably in his many unpublished/ w/o-opus works too.

Alan Howe

A frank question, if I may: are these genuinely interesting works or note-spinning exercises for pianists?

eschiss1

Don't know how to play piano, but someone who does might have a look at the score @ IMSLP and say... (brief samples listened to @iTunes sound promising.)

Herbert Pauls

I downloaded the scores and there are 24 preludes and 24 fugues, each of which is given its own number for a total of 48 pieces. That is where the number 48 comes from.  I am definitely looking forward to a perusal.