Johannes Haarklou & Sverre Jordan

Started by M. Henriksen, Wednesday 30 June 2010, 12:52

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

The label 2L with two interesting releases this summer.

First out, a record with songs by Johannes Haarklou (1847-1925):

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johannes-Haarklou-Lieder-Sommernatt/hnum/6938258

Hopefully 2010 also will give us the awaited Sterling record of some of Haarklou's orchestral works.

Later on this summer, 2L will release a record (according to their homepage) with songs by Sverre Jordan (1889-1972).
For those not acquainted with this Norwegian composer, listen to these excerpts from an older Simax recording:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Sverre-Jordan-Klavierkonzert-op-77/hnum/6051501

Morten

Mark Thomas

I have a radio recording of Haarklou's Fourth Symphony and it's a fine, grandly conceived and rather satisfying work. I didn't know that Bo Hyttner was planning a release of some of his music. Do we know what will be on the CD?

M. Henriksen

I don't know the contents of the CD so far. But Haarklou's orchestral output is almost limited to his 4 symphonies and the symphonic suite "In Westminster Abbey". Terje Mikkelsen conducting the Latvian National SO by the way. Haven't heard any release date yet.

Morten

eschiss1

That radio recording of the Haarklou 4th symphony (1960s?) has been uploaded to YouTube (enjoying it, too!...), as has a bassoon romance from ca.1905 (by its bassoonist). (I became curious about Haarklou when I saw his name in Hofmeister awhile back, especially when I saw him connected with concertos listed there- btw- I assume you meant his non-concertante orchestral output, since he did write a number of concertos in addition to those 4 symphonies! (Indeed the biographies/worklists I read give fairly interesting-seeming worklists anyway.) Or have their performing materials not survived? I find that too believable of course...)

Edit the 3rd or 4th or something: his violin concerto, Op.50 is in ms. etc. at the Free Library of Philadelphia. 190 page score and parts.     Poco allegro --
In memoriam: largo --
Finale: Andante. 

They also have score and parts to his op.47 piano concerto. (So does Southern Utah University, but incomplete parts.)

eschiss1

also by way of his orchestral music, besides his symphonies and concertos, while not major works, the Danish Library system (and FLP too) hold a full score of the overture Op.42 to his opera Marisagnet  (he was once known for his operas), and there are a few other assorted works (some marches e.g.) available in score and perhaps parts also, that could fill out a disc of, say, a symphony or two (35 minutes?) and one of two concertos (25 minutes??) and the aforementioned suite (if that didn't fill a disc fairly well already...)

Free Library of Philadelphia has the following, fwiw-
*Symphony no.3 in C Op.49 (pub. 1922. Movements Allegro -- De Faldne 1914-18 = [To the memory of the fallen, 1914-18] -- Springdans med intermezzi -- Finale: Andante sostenuto - Allegro - Andante. Estimated duration 31 minutes.)
*Violin concerto, op.50 (1932?) as above
*St. Olaf-legende, Op.44 (pub.1922, 5 minutes. Possibly related to the piano work Olaf den Hellige also by Haarklou published 1897 (see IMSLP)- no idea at present.)
*Requiem uden ord = (Requiem ohne Worte) für Orchester : zum Andenken an Johan Svendsen, op. 46 (ca.10 minutes, pub.1922)
*Piano concerto in D minor Op.47 ( Allegro -- Largo -- Finale: Allegro.) as noted above.
*Overture Op.42 to Marisagnet as above.
a few other works.
Rental fees might be a problem but not existence of orchestral works. Given soloists (now there is a problem) one could try coupling the 2 concertos and the 3rd symphony, too. Anyhow, the increasingly common problem of "all their works were destroyed in WWII" does not seem to apply here (assuming these ms and published scores and parts are actually usable.)

eschiss1

Actually, I just found out how to get parts to Haarklou's symphonies etc. (often unpublished, except for the 3rd symphony and a few other works) if someone does want to perform them- I see they're available for hire at mic.bibits.no . (This would explain the existence of that a reasonably-recent? radio recording of his 4th symphony (1920-22) in E-flat even though only the 3rd of the orchestral (non-organ) symphonies seems to have been published. The first is with chorus, I see...)

(Actually, neither site seems to have his 2nd symphony. I checked BIBSYS (Norway) too, which has a fair amount of Haarklou, but not the symphonies (except for a score of the opus 60 2nd organ symphony, that is.)

eschiss1

actually, I think I saw a recording of Haarklou's 4th symphony, not his 3rd? (or so it claimed to be...), on YouTube some while back.  in any case it seems to be a fine piece and it would be nice to see that radio broadcast get even wider distribution, outside of those people who like you and us know about such things... or new recordings, yet.  He seems, too, to have written a fair amount of interesting music; a violin sonata over at IMSLP intrigues (me- though I don't play those instruments) and there's quite a lot of organ music by him.

Aramiarz

I have these Scores:
   Marisagnet (Overture), this works is dedicated to Halvorse,
   The piano concert
    The 4 fouth symphony,

One friend mine, Excellent pianist, played to me the firsts pages of the piano concert, wonderful!

I hope very soon have notice very importants about these Haarklou's legacy. I traed to get the score of the third symphony, but the e~Mail adress isn't exact And the system rejected me!  Info@mic.no

I don't understand as the norwegian, don't rescue Haarklou.. >:(,

Aramiarz

eschiss1

another place that I believe has a score of the 3rd (in C, op.49) is the Free Library of Philadelphia Fleisher Collection iirc, which at least will loan its score & pts to an interested orchestra or other institutions though probably and in general not to individuals. They have the Gebrüder Reinecke (1922) published score, not a manuscript.

Their (Fleisher/FLP) catalog entry for the work reads so, as follows... :

"Herman von Tangen gewidmet."--P. 2.
Duration: 31 min.
Performer(s):   2-fl (1-pc, II), 2-ob, 2-cl, 2-bn, 4-hn, 2-tpt, 3-trb, 1-tb, tmp, str.
Description:   1 score (99 p.) + parts.
Contents:   Allegro --
De Faldne 1914-18 = [To the memory of the fallen, 1914-18] --
Springdans med intermezzi --
Finale: Andante sostenuto - Allegro - Andante.
Other Titles:   Symphonies,
Symphonie Nummer drei

FLP also, if I recall, has the concerto you mention (op.47) (also, according to Hofmeisters Monatsberichte, pub.1922, as I noted in my 10 May 2013 post above) . Hopefully so does someone else with a milder loan policy (in which case it behooves one not to give them cause to regret same, as I once did ... er, stopping that sentence with no further details as to how, when, where, ...)

Aramiarz

Thank You for your comments! They don't have the fouth  :'(, for this reason gave me the adress of Norway, I entered in the website for ask info, but the system rejected the e-Mail adress... The adress of Norway I wrote in new topic Haarklou, in this moment I don't remember clearly. >:(, in Fleisher have some interesting things by Haarklou. But in the Norway page there are Other differents Scores

Aramiarz

The page in Norway provided this adress for contact:

Info@mic.no

But the system rejected it!!

Aramiarz

I have the new adress for get Haarklou's Scores. Mic goodbye :'(

Alan Howe

Haarklou's 4th Symphony is a very fine piece indeed. Any news about a possible recording, Aramiarz?