BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Kalliwoda Violin Concertos

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 29 April 2015, 08:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

izdawiz

Oh My!  :o I'll receive it ~! very good news indeed .. his Sting Quartets were really nice with main emphasis on the 1st Violin.. give me confidence that the Violin Concertos will be substantial .. Fingers crossed..

Alan Howe

I don't have particularly high expectations, but it's a must-buy for me nevertheless. Both works are designated 'Concertino': Op.15 in E major dates from 1844 and Op.133 in A major dates from 1851. So are we dealing here with rather insignificant short pieces or miniature jewels??

Mark Thomas

They're coupled with three overtures which, on Kalliwoda's previous form, probably won't amount to more than 30 minutes in total. So the two "Concertinos" should also total at least that, unless cpo are going to be offering very poor value for money. IMSLP has parts for the Op.10, which is through-composed in three sections:

I. Allegro maestoso - II. Allegretto - Minore - Magiore - Allegro vivace - III. Rondo: Allegretto grazioso - Più mosso

The solo violin part has only eight pages, so it's not a large-scale piece. IMSLP also has scores for the three overtures, none of which look to be substantial pieces either.

mikehopf

sdtom

Alan Howe

Sure - if you like small-scale early-romantic violin concertos.

JimL

Looking over Kalliwoda's output I'm wondering if he DID produce any large-scale violin concertos.  They all seem to be concertinos...

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Op.9 is described by the composer as a concerto (whatever Mr. Toskey says), so he seems to have written one. Whether that is objectively a good description I don't know. The solo violin part- all IMSLP has, anyway - is 11 pages. (The Kalliwoda Nachlass @ BLB lists the 1 concerto, 5 concertinos (and a 6th with only piano accompaniment, no orchestra- Op.151), and various other solo works for violin and orchestra published and in manuscript (including a Concertstück in manuscript), and 4 works for 2 violins and orchestra besides (along with the rondo for flute, concertino and divertimento for oboe, and other concertante works for other instruments.))

Alan Howe

Toskey suggests that these are all short-ish pieces, whatever their title.

eschiss1

Fair enough; I didn't claim they were vast symphony-concertos :) However, the freedom of form/fantasia-quality also typically associated with the concertino (and which I'm guessing is present in Kalliwoda's actual 6 concertinos) is lacking from Op.9, which is in the standard 3, non-connected, movements (without even the "attacca" Beethoven "allows" himself in several of his grand concerti...)

Gareth Vaughan

According to the catalog, Eric, while the BLB does not seem to have an Orchestral Partitur for the 6th Concertino, it does have a set of parts.

eschiss1

... interesting. Thank you. The Nachlass-Verzeichnis seems to have nodded a bit Homerically...