Dvarionas Violin Concerto

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 02 July 2010, 17:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I really do recommend the purchase of this CD. OK, so we get the Korngold VC as the coupling, but there is a bonus in the form of Dvarionas' Pezzo Elegiaco 'By the Lake' for violin and orchestra, as well as the beautiful Dvarionas VC itself. Modern Romantic music at its very best, I would say - and beautifully performed and recorded.

febnyc

Agree with the recommendation.

I, initially, posted to express my chagrin at the coupling with another Korngold performance.  But, lo! -  this version might become my favorite - the Korngold Concerto is taken at a leisurely pace (my previous first choice: Perlman [Pittsburgh/Previn/EMI] is, interestingly only a half-minute faster in each of the two first movements - but the Gluzman seems more relaxed and, therefore, more drawn out and lush) and all the romance and schmaltz of Korngold is emphasized in a meltingly lovely delivery.  Overall, a first-class disc and happy to have it.

eschiss1

This work will be performed at the Barbican on April 13 2012 - Vadim Gluzman, vn/Neeme Järvi/BBC Symphony. Works by Englund, Tuur and the 2nd symphony of Sibelius will also be in the concert (*runs*)

markniew

I agree with Tobias - Violin Cto  by Dvarionas is in fact very lovely and tuneful piece! I strongly recomend it - I know the performance mentioned by Tobias.
In the couple on BIS it might be the winner!

Marek

FBerwald

What an absolutely stunning concerto. A sort or Sibelius meets Smetana.. Get THIS one!!!!!

mbhaub

I bought this disk for the Dvarionas -- very beautiful, and like the the Karlowicz, deserving a much wider audience. The Korngold performance is quite fine -- on of the best. But the reason I reply is this: can anyone let the rest of us know the correct pronounciation of Dvarionas? Is it as simple as I think? Eastern European languages are minefields for those of us more linguisitically challenged...you know, Americans!

DennisS

I too bought this cd for the Dvarionas VC and was very pleased I did. The Dvarionas VC is lovely but I was really taken with the Korngold VC. I knew Korngold's music from films but was not familiar with his classical work.  I found the VC lyrical and very moving. It was also very enjoyable picking out the extracts from the films. A CD well worth buying!

DennisS

eschiss1

yes-- Korngold's concert music is well-worth knowing in my opinion anyway (I don't know his operas though many of them have been recorded. I've heard two of his string quartets, his piano trio, his string sextet, piano concerto and I think both of the other concertos, piano quintet, violin sonata, piano quartet suite, symphony, sinfonietta and a number of other works. His film scores sometimes derive from the (earlier) works instead of the other way around (e.g. the overture Sursum Corda was mined for material for a later well-known film score of his)... )

Alan Howe

We're off topic here. Let's get back to Dvarionas, please!

eschiss1

There's still one day to hear the BBC broadcast of the Dvarionas violin concerto UK premiere here, by the way.

Yasu

Nice to meet you, everyone.

I'm Yasu from Japan.
An amateur orchestra Ochestra "Excelsis" that I belong, we will perform the Dvarionas Violin Concerto in 23 Sep 2013. It's Japan premiere!
HP: http://excelsis.sub.jp (Sorry, this site Japanese only)
The concept of the orchestra is "shed light on the unknown works"

1st concert: All stenhammar program (Excelsior!, Piano concerto No. 2, Symphony No. 1)
2nd concert: All polish program (Noskowski: Concert Overture "Morskie Oko", Karlowicz; Violin Concerto, Symphony in E minor "Odrodzenie")
3rd concert: All English program (Harty: "With the Wild Geese", Cecil Forsyth: Viola Concerto, Parry: Symphony No. 2 in F major, "Cambridge")

jerfilm

A big welcome, Yasu.

That is a VERY impressive set of programs.  Where in Japan does Excelsis perform?

I sure would like to be able to attend concerts like that in the USA

Jerry

JimL

Quote from: Yasu on Wednesday 19 June 2013, 10:18
Nice to meet you, everyone.

I'm Yasu from Japan.
An amateur orchestra Ochestra "Excelsis" that I belong, we will perform the Dvarionas Violin Concerto in 23 Sep 2013. It's Japan premiere!
HP: http://excelsis.sub.jp (Sorry, this site Japanese only)
The concept of the orchestra is "shed light on the unknown works"

1st concert: All stenhammar program (Excelsior!, Piano concerto No. 2, Symphony No. 1)
2nd concert: All polish program (Noskowski: Concert Overture "Morskie Oko", Karlowicz; Violin Concerto, Symphony in E minor "Odrodzenie")
3rd concert: All English program (Harty: "With the Wild Geese", Cecil Forsyth: Viola Concerto, Parry: Symphony No. 2 in F major, "Cambridge")
I'd be very interested in getting my hands on a download of that performance of the Forsyth Viola Concerto, if you could make one available, Yasu.

Yasu

Dear Jerry,

Thanks for your reply!
Our orchestra are playing in Tokyo.
In the 4th Concert in Sep, we will play "All Baltic program".
-Veljo Tormis: Overture No. 2
-Balys Dvarionas: Violin Concerto in B minor (Japan premiere)
-Janis Ivanovs: Symphony No. 3 in F minor (Japan premiere)

Dear JimL.
Thank you for your interest!
Sorry, I don't have a sound that can be downloaded...

semloh

I've just been prompted by this to listen again to the Dvarionas Violin Concerto. If any UC members have not heard it then do give it a try. It's a fine romantic concerto - half a century out of date!  ;)