News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Herbeck Grosse Messe

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 17 March 2015, 07:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

A very interesting forthcoming release:

Johann von Herbeck (1831-1877): Große Messe in E minor for Chorus, Organ and Orchestra:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/johann-von-herbeck-grosse-messe-e-moll-fuer-chor-orgel-und-orchester/hnum/7068738

More info on Herbeck here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_von_Herbeck

Alan Howe

The work was written and first performed in Vienna in 1866.

eschiss1

http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/bsb00077071/image_7 - first page (linked to the rest) of the full score of the E minor mass (as published by Gutmann of Vienna, ca.1879.)

Alan Howe

This, I venture, is a major find. The Grosse Messe is a most dignified and beautiful piece for choir, organ and orchestra and was apparently rediscovered in the Austrian National Library in Vienna by the conductor on this new recording, Gerd Schaller. If only more conductors were prepared to do this sort of work, who knows what might be unearthed?

The idiom is conservative, admittedly, but the writing for choir is subtle and varied - and the whole thing is magnificently performed and recorded. Schaller, of course, is well-known for his superlative renderings of Bruckner's symphonies; I don't think it's at all fanciful to suggest that his experience with the wide-open spaces of Bruckner's music have been a significant factor in producing such a sensitive performance of Herbeck's mass. Recommended to all lovers of 19th century choral music. 

Alan Howe

Track 6, the Agnus Dei, is absolutely sublime. Truly inspired music.

eschiss1

Hrm... as to Bruckner in connection with Herbeck I recall recently noticing that the latter premiered a work or two of the former (the F minor mass and one of the symphonies too I think?) (I don't know how well they knew each other but expect that information is probably well-known to others...)
I'm under the impression that the CD of his 4th symphony and symphonic variations could be the only major recorded release (primarily) of his music before this recording of his E minor mass but I'm not positive. I'd thought for a moment that I'd seen a recording of his requiem reviewed but I think I was thinking of Huttenbrenner, there (erm... oops. !!!)

Alan Howe

There's little connection between Herbeck and Bruckner, stylistically speaking. Herbeck is more conservative. 

sdtom

I enjoyed the audio clip of track number6 and now I want to have it. Alan has a way of keeping the credit card balance on the high side  :D Alan are you sure you don't get some sort of compensation from the manufacturers?
Tom

Alan Howe

Wouldn't that be lovely...?

sdtom

I looked at the US Amazon and saw nothing so far but I'll keep my eye out for it.
Tom :)

ken

ken

A beautifully performed and recorded disc.  The only downside is the short playing time of 47:33.  This is the only recording available to my knowledge and I highly recommend it!