News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Schumann's other VC

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 15 July 2010, 11:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...by which I mean his own arrangement of the Cello Concerto, has just appeared in a truly lovely recording on Onyx played by Philippe Graffin:

http://www.onyxclassics.com/cddetail.php?CatalogueNumber=ONYX4062

Mark Thomas

A welcome oddity. Thanks for the heads up, Alan.

Alan Howe

I much prefer the arrangement to the CC itself. (But don't tell anyone!) I've always felt that the CC comes over as rather gruff in places - which the VC version definitely doesn't.

JimL

That "gruffness" is part of the appeal of the CC for me, and a refreshing change of pace for Schumann.  Think I'll pass on this one.

eschiss1

The only other recording I know of of this arrangement is Kremer's (and I think this recording has some re-orchestrations by Shostakovich!), coupled with Shostakovich's violin concerto no. 2 (same opus number, which must have appealed to the producers behind the recording... may make for an interesting comparison to see just what reorchestrations Shostakovich actually did, I suppose ;) ) (Kremer/Ozawa/Boston SO, on DG from 1994)
Eric

Richard Moss

I also have a recording on Ondine (ODE879-2) of the two Schumann VCs.  Not sure if this is still currently available.

Norbit

This is a real interesting find. I only listened to the free sample (very generous at 9:51!). I wouldn't worry about this replacing the cello concerto. The violin's lower register isn't its strong suit. There are several parts that sounds like a boy delivering a speech that should be by a man. I especially wonder what the second movement would sound like.