Unsung Tone/Symphonic Poems?

Started by monafam, Wednesday 07 July 2010, 04:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

And it's probably among my favourite adjectives too, alongside 'wonderful'. But I hope I've usually said why. I'm sure Mark has.

Kevin

Guys, don't scare someone away by just saying somethings "marvelous" I bet you Mr Raff is having second thoughts now about posting here.

Mark Thomas

Justin

One of my favorites would be Waldwanderung by Leo Blech. He labeled it a "Stimmungsbild," meaning "atmospheric picture," but I think it would fall under this topic.

It does an excellent job at depicting a series of stages on the journey of a forest hiker, and the transitions are clear enough that you can follow his travels.

Moments of ecstasy and grandeur move to more somber moments deep in the forest (the low register of the trombones). You can hear woodwinds represent the birds, and it all provides that atmosphere which makes this a treat to listen to.

There is a melody halfway through which reappears near the end, but in a more gentle way. It reminds me of how when we return from our travels, time makes our memories of those moments more bittersweet, since they are now just that: Memories.

Gareth Vaughan

I don't know this work, but your post makes want to hear it. Thank you.

Justin

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Wednesday 06 May 2020, 14:34
I don't know this work, but your post makes want to hear it. Thank you.

I posted it in the Downloads folder earlier this year.

Gareth Vaughan

Christopher

Quote from: Zusac on Wednesday 06 May 2020, 13:25
One of my favorites would be Waldwanderung by Leo Blech. He labeled it a "Stimmungsbild," meaning "atmospheric picture," but I think it would fall under this topic.

It does an excellent job at depicting a series of stages on the journey of a forest hiker, and the transitions are clear enough that you can follow his travels.

Moments of ecstasy and grandeur move to more somber moments deep in the forest (the low register of the trombones). You can hear woodwinds represent the birds, and it all provides that atmosphere which makes this a treat to listen to.

There is a melody halfway through which reappears near the end, but in a more gentle way. It reminds me of how when we return from our travels, time makes our memories of those moments more bittersweet, since they are now just that: memories.

What a marvellous description, thank you!  ;D

Alan Howe

Absolutely. Thank you. And here's Blech's gorgeous piece, exactly as described:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqojnQsV28s

Gareth Vaughan

I listened to this earlier today, having downloaded it from the Downloads Board, and I agree: it is a truly gorgeous piece. Very evocative of a walk through rustling, shady woodland, sensitively orchestrated and with some delightful melodies, sometimes almost (as it were) peeping out through the umbrageous foliage (wrote he, fancifully). Thank you, Zusac, for drawing it to our attention again.

Mark Thomas

"Umbrageous" - thanks for the word of the day, Gareth.

Gareth Vaughan

Justin

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Thursday 07 May 2020, 20:41
Thank you, Zusac, for drawing it to our attention again.

You are most welcome! Blech premiered this work on November 20, 1901 in Prague during the Crefeld festival among thirty other compositions. This one was the highlight and caused the most sensation. Ludwig Hartmann stated in 1900 that "Strauss has found an orchestral equal in Blech." This statement isn't too surprising since Richard Strauss later conducted the second performance of "Waldwanderung" in Berlin!

The year prior (1900), Blech had written a symphonic poem of a similar theme called "Trost in der Natur," translated roughly to "Solace in Nature." Its subtitle is "Barcarole." The orchestration has been described as similar, with expressive strings carrying a distinctive melody, and emphasis on the clarinets, flutes and oboes. It was positively received and lauded for its polyphonic elements in conjunction with a featured melody.

Unlike "Waldwanderung" which communicates happiness, solemness and an overall deep peace from start to finish, "Trost" starts with a hiker who is discontent with life, and proceeds to seek comfort from Mother Nature, into which he slowly (yet without hesitation) eases. A scene in the piece that exemplifies this notion is him taking a boat trip down a serene and slowly flowing river.

To me, these pieces seem connected; I see "Trost" as the first chapter of the hiker's experience, and "Waldwanderung" is when he returns already filled with a renewed passion for nature that allows him to bask in its many pure qualities.

Apparently "Trost in der Natur" was performed several times from 1900-1907. From my research, it has never been recorded live or in a studio venue. Perhaps someone would have better luck than me.

Source is Leo Blech, Eine biographisch-ästhetische Studie by Ernst Rychnovsky. Published 1905.

Joachim Raff

One can even hear the Cuckoos in this vanilla pastoral piece. Shame the recording is a bit ropy as this would help its merits. Of course written when the world was a little different. So very idealistic, but pleasant enough not to cause offence.