News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Netzer Symphonies

Started by John H White, Friday 08 October 2010, 21:33

Previous topic - Next topic

terry martyn

I have now played through all the Netzer symphonies and expect to be  returning to them again and again. They were much more piquant than I was expecting.
The influence of Mozart and Beethoven is clear,less so,Schubert,and I don´t think Netzer has heard much Mendelssohn. And,yes,he is a follower,but he orchestrates in an assured way,and particularly favours the woodwinds,resulting in a lightness of touch and dancelike quality about most of the music.
Occasionally, I was reminded of Bernhard Romberg in Netzer´s slower movements, but Netzer is not as heavy and never gets bogged down. It´s hard to pick a favourite symphony at first hearing. They all stand up pretty well and pretty much fit the spring season we are now in.
Recordings are clear and the orchestra play the music with what comes across as affection
Despite Netzer´s Symphonies 2 and 3 not being listed in the current catalogue at the Landesmuseen, I think that Dr Holzmann still has one or two CDs in his warehouse of Tyrolean gems. The other CD is definitely available
Warmly recommended to devotees of unpretentious lighter symphonic works

semloh

Thank you for that overview, Terry. It provides useful insights for someone such as myself, who has never heard Netzer's music.