Leopold van der Pals (1884-1966) Symphony No.1

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 12 April 2018, 22:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Gilse van der Pals' Concertpiece Op.10 (copyright 1912) for violin and orchestra might be interesting too.

Mark Thomas

I shall await the audio excerpts with interest...

Mark Thomas

... although I don't hear much of interest in the recording of a rehearsal of the Symphony No.3 just posted by jimsemadeni in the Downloads board.

Alan Howe

As far as UC is concerned, I think we're only going to be interested in the composer's early works.

eschiss1

Alan Howe

Excerpts are now available at jpc. Nothing at all to frighten the late-romantic horses here.

Ilja

To be honest, the symphonic poems appear to be the more interesting parts of this disc - particularly Wieland der Schmied, an apparently interesting subject at the time (Hausegger, Kubizek, even Hitler).

Mark Thomas

You may be correct, Ilja, but only a purchase will prove you right! So, I'm now all the poorer this morning...

Alan Howe

The 37-minute long Symphony is pretty standard late-romantic fare. Not very strong in personality, but thoroughly enjoyable nevertheless. One interesting trait is its tendency to begin rather gently, only to expand into really impressive and emotional climaxes. I was expecting something more along the lines of Scriabin overall, but the sort of hysteria associated with that composer is only fitfully present.

Nobody is going to regret buying this, but again don't expect a revelation!

Alan Howe

...from a brief audition, the symphonic poems sound much less 'buttoned up'. This is where the real interest of this CD lies...

Comparisons? Bantock, perhaps?

Mark Thomas

I've just given the Symphony a second listen in the hope of finding something interesting, but it again failed to rouse any enthusiasm in me. Dull, dull, dull... I do hope that Ilja and Alan are correct and the two symphonic poems have more to them.