Gernsheim Violin Concertos at last!

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 12 August 2015, 08:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

... I ended up getting other things with my gift certificate/card after all, but- will hear and get this sooner than later, if it's as good as reviews so far suggest. As to which? :)

jonfrohnen

Can't wait to hear this, I loved Linus Roth's recording of the Weinberg op67

jerfilm

This recording is now available for pre order download or CD from Amazon.com.   Release in about a week.

Jerry

jonfrohnen

jerfilm

Just got mine this morning.  Love the 2nd concerto.  What lovely melodies.  And skillfuly constructed.  Gernsheim surely rates up there with the Raffs and Reineckes.  Wow.

Jerry

Alan Howe

It's good stuff, isn't it? What a debt we owe to cpo...

Mark Thomas

All three works on this CD have given me huge pleasure, and for me this release ranks amongst the very best of 2015. What's interesting is how different the three pieces are: the tender, sweet Fantasiestück, the romantic mainstream First Concerto and the much sparer, passionate Second. Even more than the symphonies and some of his fine chamber works, I'd say that these works are the best possible ambassadors for Gernsheim's art.

Ilja

Hi Mark, I bought the disc (as an MP3 download) on the strenghth of the reactions here (and my own affection for G's music, obviously). What you describe seems to tie in well with my general impression of Gernsheim's music: after 1900 it becomes less overtly Brahmsian (which the 1st VC very much is), and more austere both in structure and instrumentation. Works from the same general period as the 2nd VC show, such as the 5th String Quartet and the symphonic poem Zu einem Drama, show those traits as well and show how at a later age Gernsheim's style developed into something much more personal than before.

Alan Howe

I think that's fair comment, Ilja. And it's a good indication of Gernsheim's standing as a composer that he didn't simply repeat himself or get 'flabby'. Of particular interest is his tendency to fine things down in his late period.

Quoteovertly Brahmsian (which the 1st VC very much is)

Agreed, although I detect as much Bruch in the mix as Brahms. The main theme of the finale strikes me as being a very close relation to the finale of Bruch VC1...

Ilja

Didn't strike me so much at first, but now that I've listened to them side-by-side that is quite obvious. What it also shows is the common ground among this group of composers. Maybe it is no coincidence that Gernsheim's music assumes this more personal character after most of the circle around Brahms (and its centre, obviously) passed away.

Alan Howe

Röntgen's later music exhibits the same tendency, albeit in a more extreme form.

Ilja

After World War I, much of the Dutch music scene was taken over by composers such as Willem Pijper, Sem Dresden, Hendrik Andriessen and (to a lesser degree due to his quarrelsome character) Matthijs Vermeulen. Now for want of in-depth knowledge about Röntgen I am conjecturing, but my impression is that Röntgen moved from adherence to one group to an identification with the new musical generation in his new home country (he became a Dutch citizen in 1918) – one which was much more inclined to indulge in experimentation.

Sorry for getting somewhat off-topic. To get back on: I wouldn't wonder if Röntgen and Gernsheim knew one another pretty well from the former's long tenure of the Rotterdam Philharmonic Society. According to Wikipedia, "In 1887 Röntgen performed Brahms's second piano concerto, conducted by the composer himself". It is not inconceivable that Gernsheim was present on that occasion, too.

Richard Moss

At last Gernsheim VCs arrived from MDT (where did you guys get your earlier copies from - JPC??) - listening for the first time as I type and I am very much reminded of when I first got my 'Accardo' set of Bruch's VCs.  Lovely 'singing soloist, no 'scratchy' chords which, IMHO, might showcase technical skill but are rarely 'easy' on the ears!

Also received the Eggert Syms 2 & 4 - enjoyable but not memorable (unlike what I'm hearing with Gernsheim).

Is this 'architypical' romantic music?

Cheers

Richard

eschiss1

btw (for those who like me haven't yet got the CD - though intend to sooner than later, and for others curious about it), the finale of the first concerto can still be heard here on BBC Radio 3's In Tune until the beginning of next month (about 57 minutes into the program.)