Tra Nguyen's series of Raff piano music CDs

Started by Mark Thomas, Thursday 27 August 2015, 22:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I've just heard from Naxos that Tra Nguyen's six CD series of Raff's piano music for the Grand Piano label is to be released as a box set. There's no release date as yet, but if you don't already have the CDs, it'd be the perfect thing for your Christmas wish  list!

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

It'll be available in November, nicely timed for Christmas.

Mark Thomas

Mark Thomas

Tra Nguyen talks about Raff's piano music and the works on this boxed set: Grand Piano e-card

Kevin

Is this box set worth getting? I ask because 7 hours is a lot of time for me to invest in. Is the music strong enough to justify that length? Is it comparable in quality to another well known composer?

Gareth Vaughan

Yes, yes and yes. But I would say that, wouldn't I? Seriously though, Raff has a distinctive voice, is a master craftsman and a wonderful melodist. I would say you would be investing in 7 hours of pure pleasure.

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

Every CD is full of top quality mid-late romantic piano music. Now if you've never heard Raff or at least his piano music I could see the hesitation but I honestly can't remember anyone on this board saying a bad thing about the series (though perhaps elsewhere....)

Coincidentally i just listened to Vol. 2 yesterday.

Kevin

You have persuaded me. I will have to find the time though to listen...

Yeates

Some really wonderful music and fine playing too!

Kevin

I agree. Some marvellous music which is always inventive and inspired. Raff was one of the greats IMO.

Mark Thomas

Oh good. I'm so pleased that you are enjoying this lovely music.

Kevin

The author in the booklet writes authoritative notes too.  ;)

Mark Thomas

Must have been having a good day... Thanks, Kevin.