Lyapunov's Violin Concerto on Naxos

Started by M. Henriksen, Monday 12 July 2010, 10:54

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

Naxos have turned their attention to Lyapunov's Violin Concerto. A work not overrepresented in the catalogues.

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.570462

Morten

Delicious Manager

I haven't yet heard the whole work - only the first five minutes or so allowed to signed-up (but not paid-up) Naxos subscribers. At first I wondered if my ears were playing tricks on me the style reminding me a little of Myaskovsky, but then i learned that the Violin Concerto is quite a late work (1915, revised 1921), buy which time, of course, Myaskovsky's music would have been quite firmly established in Russia.

It sounds worth a further listen ...

Alan Howe

Unfortunately, it's only available as a download...

M. Henriksen

Yes, but Naxos' homepage says that the physical CD will be released in the future. Let's hope in the not so distant future!

Morten

Alan Howe

Frustrating, though! I always end up downloading the music and then buying the physical CD!!
Anyway, the VC is certainly a gorgeous piece - somewhat in line of descent from Glazunov, being in one continuous movement. It's certainly not on the grand scale of Miaskovsky's VC and the idiom is more conservative overall.

Amphissa

I suppose it is no surprise that Lyapunov's violin concerto would be influenced by Glazunov's to some extent. But one would think that it might also display some influences from his teacher, Taneyev, whose Suite de Concert was completed in 1909, or even Taneyev's teacher, Tchaikovsky. Myaskovsky's Violin Concerto was not completed until 1938.

I'll be interested to hear the Lyapunov violin concerto. But I'm rather disappointed to see it coupled with the symphony. I would rather have companion pieces that are not previously recorded.

tcutler

Julian Sitkovetsky has recorded the concerto.
In fact, Heifetz played it with piano accompaniment at a New York recital
in the 1930s. I stumbled across it reading old New York times reviews.

eschiss1

And by 1921 Myaskovsky had reached his 5th symphony, finished his 3rd piano sonata (early version, not the 1939 revision), but only begun his 6th symphony; his music too might be said at that point to still show more influences than it later did (or anyway different ones. His visit to Germany that influenced his A minor string quartet and 10th symphony was 9 or so years in the future, for instance.)
Eric

TerraEpon

Quote from: M. Henriksen on Monday 12 July 2010, 13:02
Yes, but Naxos' homepage says that the physical CD will be released in the future. Let's hope in the not so distant future

Usually they say when that'll be. In the case of a recent Debussy release I need, it'll be April of next year*grumble grumble*

jerfilm

There was, I believe, a Melodiya Lp of this concerto issued some years ago.  I have it in the basement but had back surgery recently so can't get at it at the moment.

Jerry Buszek

:)I recently purchased a mono recording of the Lyapunov and Glazunov Concerti along with a very Romantic concerto by A. Lehman. This was on the Artek label with violinist Yulian Sitkovetsky. The Lyapunov is a one movement concerto, not what I had expected from him (compared to Hashish). The real find was the VC by A. Lehman (b 1915). I just googled Lyapunov and found this gem.

JimL

Quote from: Jerry Buszek on Monday 08 November 2010, 04:57
:)I recently purchased a mono recording of the Lyapunov and Glazunov Concerti along with a very Romantic concerto by A. Lehman. This was on the Artek label with violinist Yulian Sitkovetsky. The Lyapunov is a one movement concerto, not what I had expected from him (compared to Hashish). The real find was the VC by A. Lehman (b 1915). I just googled Lyapunov and found this gem.
Welcome, Jerry!

I don't see why you would be surprised that Lyapunov's VC would be in one movement.  Both of his PCs are also.

eschiss1

... suspects there's an 'and' missing there :) (and not what I expected from him, not like his work Hashish, etc.)
ES

M. Henriksen

Finally, the Lyapunov disc i set for release in January 2011.
Details can be found on Naxos' website:

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.570462

Morten

giles.enders

I am hoping it is better than the recently released recordings of the piano concertos which are a great disappointment both from the point of recording and performance and what a cheap trashy booklet cover!