The Romantic Piano Concerto, Vol. 51 – Taubert & Rosenhain

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 14 July 2010, 04:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteThey also (or should I say used to) digitalise any of their holdings free of charge which they did for me on several occasions.

British Library please take note

Oh, how I wish the BL would have the decency to start a programme of digitisation - or, better still, simply respond (as does the Sibley Music Library in the U.S.) to requests for copies of scores by digitising them free of charge, posting the requester a link to the digitised score, then uploading it to IMSLP. How civilised! The process takes between 4-6 weeks, but it's a splendid service. All the BL does is rip you off!

thalbergmad

I cannot see that ever happening, but i guess one can dream.

I once asked them to digitalise a score as opposed to having a paper copy and it came out at 500mb. PDF creation does not appear to be their strongpoint ;D

Thal

eschiss1

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Wednesday 25 August 2010, 15:46
QuoteThey also (or should I say used to) digitalise any of their holdings free of charge which they did for me on several occasions.

British Library please take note

Oh, how I wish the BL would have the decency to start a programme of digitisation - or, better still, simply respond (as does the Sibley Music Library in the U.S.) to requests for copies of scores by digitising them free of charge, posting the requester a link to the digitised score, then uploading it to IMSLP. How civilised! The process takes between 4-6 weeks, but it's a splendid service. All the BL does is rip you off!
Sibley Library doesn't upload scores to the IMSLP (so far as I know????) - volunteers for IMSLP do that once they (we) notice that something's been uploaded to Sibley and that it satisfies all the necessary (i.e. Canadian as well as American, ...) copyright laws and etc.. Just to clarify, there - I do agree of course!
Eric

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteSibley Library doesn't upload scores to the IMSLP (so far as I know????) - volunteers for IMSLP do that once they (we) notice that something's been uploaded to Sibley and that it satisfies all the necessary (i.e. Canadian as well as American, ...) copyright laws and etc.
You're quite right, Eric - my mistake. But, as you say, my point remains: that here is a library committed to making its out-of-copyright material freely and conveniently available to the widest possible public; which, I would have thought, ought to be the priinciple underlying every academic database of information. But then I always was naive and optimistic!!!