News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hubay Viola Concerto

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 02 July 2010, 17:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

According to Jeff Joneikis at RecordsInternational "Hubay's 1884 concerto was only orchestrated as to its first movement and this was later published as a Morceau de concert. Lajos Huszár (b.1948) orchestrated the remaining two movements for this recording, giving us a 33-minute concerto". Still good to have, of course.

Peter1953

That makes me wonder how the Adagio non tartando sounds, because the slow movements of all Hubay's 4 VCs are IMHO ever so lyrical and beautiful. I will therefore certainly order the CD, although I had preferred a more substantial unrecorded work, like one of Hubay's Symphonies (BTW, are the complete scores available for recording?), than all those short viola pieces.

eschiss1

Quote from: Peter1953 on Sunday 04 July 2010, 12:39
That makes me wonder how the Adagio non tartando sounds, because the slow movements of all Hubay's 4 VCs are IMHO ever so lyrical and beautiful. I will therefore certainly order the CD, although I had preferred a more substantial unrecorded work, like one of Hubay's Symphonies (BTW, are the complete scores available for recording?), than all those short viola pieces.

I'm curious about them too; and I've seen the vocal scores of a few of the operas and am particularly impressed by them (the opening of The Venus of Milo is stylistically very far away from his usual Romanticism, but given the conjectured setting, it's appropriate - more like imagined old Greek music, in whole-tone scales.)  I hope the full scores and parts of at least one of his operas, and the will to produce it, can be found somewhere.
Eric

Alan Howe

Friends can now begin to judge for themselves. Try the first three gorgeous-sounding excerpts here...

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Jen%F6-Hubay-Violakonzert-op-20/hnum/8599662

Alan Howe

Having now received the CD, I can reveal that this is not great music - it's probably not even Hubay at his best (after all, it's been stitched together, as Mark Thomas pointed out), but it is enjoyable. And who wouldn't welcome a new viola concerto from the 1880s...? Especially with such a gorgeous slow movement!

eschiss1

Quote from: Peter1953 on Sunday 04 July 2010, 12:39

The score of symphony op. 93 (nicknamed Sinfonie 1914) is listed by WorldCat as being at a Marburg library (apparently full score, not reduction).
Eric

Peter1953

Thanks, Eric. Now there is some hope that we can listen to this symphony in the far, far future. Or is this wishful thinking?
Now it's time to listen to the Viola Concerto, although it is only partly Hubay's creation.