News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rimsky-Korsakov/Skazka

Started by sdtom, Monday 19 July 2010, 14:52

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Quote from: JimL on Sunday 01 August 2010, 00:57
Hmm.  Sounds like a bit of progressive tonality (although D-flat Major is enharmonically the same as C-sharp Major, the dominant of F-sharp).  Well, now I know. :) :)

While I pedantically ;) prefer Robert Simpson's (unique) definition of progressive tonality as tonality that goes from one place to another in apparently definite steps/directions ("progressing", seeming to follow a path, rather than the end seeming to be a random spot given the beginning)- and agree with Simpson (2nd edition of his book on Nielsen's symphonies) that this seems true of all (even the 6th) of Nielsen's symphonies- I haven't heard Antar nearly often enough to know if this more restrictive (and as I said, unique) idea would apply. But that would be moving the goalposts *G* Anyway-- yep
Eric

sdtom

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/07/31/capriccio-espagnolrimsky-korsakov/ This turned out to be a project for me. If you hear of any conducting opportunities for this piece let me know.
Thomas

sdtom

Since I'm still spending a lot of time with Rimsky-Korsakov who thinks what about who had the best 'Antar' recording.
Thomas

chill319

Of the recordings I've heard (all of the third version, which R-K downgraded from a symphony to a symphonic suite), I particularly like the Svetlanov/SO of Russia recorded with clear and bright sonics in Bruges for BMG/RCA in the early 1990s; and the Kitajenko/Bergen PO recorded by Chandos (also in the 1990s) with (its customary) exemplary engineering. (I haven't auditioned Svelanov's early 2000s version of Antar with the Philharmonia.)

Both recommended versions sound "authentic" to me. To oversimplify, Svetlanov's reminds me more of a pointed Toscanini performance, Kitajenko's of a broader but coherent Furtwängler performance.

sdtom

And I have neither recording. I have it with the Pittsburgh/Maazel, Gothenburg/Jarvi, and St. Petersburg/Anichanov. I also have the old Chicago/Gould on a worn out lp. Have you heard any of these recordings?
Thomas :)

chill319

Nyet. Gould rushes everything I've heard him conduct. Jarvi is wonderful in metronomic composers like Chadwick; also in Tubin; he's not my first choice in music that profits from a prosodic or operatic approach. I'd be interested in hearing the Maazel. I enjoyed his concerts in Pittsburgh (the few where I was present). Also of note: the Maazel recording received a rosette in the Penguin Guide.

Following up on the initial entry in this thread: does anyone have a recommended recording of  the "Mazurka on three Polish themes for violin and orchestra" or "Fantasia on two Russian themes for violin"?

TerraEpon

Quote from: chill319 on Saturday 07 August 2010, 21:49
Following up on the initial entry in this thread: does anyone have a recommended recording of  the "Mazurka on three Polish themes for violin and orchestra" or "Fantasia on two Russian themes for violin"?

Rinsky is a 'completionist' composer of mine, but I don't have ANY for the Mazurka. Archive doesn't even list one. Would love to have one though...

sdtom

Is this not the same as the Concert Fantasy for violin and orchestra, op. 33? It is included on the vox box I talked about VOX CDX5082.
Thomas

Delicious Manager

Quote from: mbhaub on Saturday 31 July 2010, 05:53
Quote from: Delicious Manager on Saturday 31 July 2010, 00:01
The RCA Symphony Orchestra was the Los Angeles Philharmonic in freelance mode.

Are you sure about that? The recordings were made at the Manhattan Center in NYC in Oct. 1958. The RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra was a working name for various orchestras under the banner of RCA. On the east conductors included Bernstein, Stokowski, Reiner, Krips, as well as Kondrashin. Orchestra members were drawn from the finest groups in the area: NY Philharmonic, NBC Symphony, the Met Opera orchestra as well as top freelancers. (A bassoon teacher of mine did a lot of the contracting.)

Ooops. You're right. Profuse apologies. I was confusing the RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra which WAS a NYC-based 'scratch' orchestra) with Columbia/CBS's 'Columbia Symphony Orchestra', which was often most or all of the Los Angeles Phil. Sorry for the blind alley!

sdtom

I'm busy at work on Rimsky-Korsakov's 1st Symphony review and have a question for all? Has there ever been a recording of the original version of his symphony in E Flat Minor and not the revised version of twenty years later. I would be curious to hear the differences in what was changed.

chill319

You may be a bit ahead of the curve on R-K, Thomas. But please let us know if you find a recording of the E-flat Minor version premiered in 1865. I, too, would like to hear it. Such an audacious key for its time!

eschiss1

Quote from: sdtom on Wednesday 11 August 2010, 00:17
I'm busy at work on Rimsky-Korsakov's 1st Symphony review and have a question for all? Has there ever been a recording of the original version of his symphony in E Flat Minor and not the revised version of twenty years later. I would be curious to hear the differences in what was changed.

If you see a track list for a recording of symphony 1 and it starts with Andante or Andante-Allegro, it's version 1. If it starts with Largo assai or Largo assai-Allegro, it's version 2. (The other movements of version 1 are, according to the IMSLP score,
*Scherzo: Vivace
*Andante (I can't translate the Russian header above that, though...)
*Allegro

(in version 2, they're Andante tranquillo -- Scherzo: Vivace - Allegro assai. So he switched the scherzo back to place 3, too...)
I thought maybe based on a description Butt (despite "E minor") might have done so, and Amazon doesn't label the movements, but the 2nd movement is slow, suggesting that no, it's the 1884 version... no, I don't know of a recording of the first version. Had thought there was, for some reason.
Eric
Eric

sdtom

Quote from: TerraEpon on Sunday 08 August 2010, 06:48

Rinsky is a 'completionist' composer of mine, but I don't have ANY for the Mazurka. Archive doesn't even list one. Would love to have one though...

Do you happen to have the Svetlanov/Warner Bros set and if so what do you think of his intreptation? Would this set be worth investing in?
Thomas

Delicious Manager

Quote from: sdtom on Wednesday 11 August 2010, 04:55
Quote from: TerraEpon on Sunday 08 August 2010, 06:48

Do you happen to have the Svetlanov/Warner Bros set and if so what do you think of his intreptation? Would this set be worth investing in?
Thomas

I don't have the Warner set, but I know Svetlanov's recording of Antar. As he did with most second (and worse)-rate compositions he conducted, he makes a very convincing case for it.

sdtom

Probably worth the investment