Main Menu

Symphony wish list.

Started by John H White, Sunday 31 May 2009, 20:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

Quote from: Pengelli on Friday 21 August 2009, 17:23
By the way,does anyone know whether cpo will be doing
the symphonies of Cornelis Dopper?

Not to my knowledge. The 3rd, 5th and 6th symphonies have been done (well) by Chandos years ago.

The First Symphony was recorded some time ago, but still awaits publication. Same for the rather fine Viola Concerto. The fourth symphony is a gargantuan affair, but the problem is that the score is in ms only, and there are no parts. A Noteworthy job, then, but it's going to be expensive from every angle. The fifth is more modest, but I know of no plans to record.

Finally, the Requiem will be premiered on November, 19, in Dopper's birth town of Stadskanaal, as part of this year's Dopper festival (http://www.s3producties.nl/). That's going to be quite an event.

Gareth Vaughan

Dopper's symphonies 2, 3 & 6 were recorded by Chandos. No. 7 appeared with the Ciacona Gotica on an Nmc CD. I'm glad to hear that No. 1 has been recorded and may some time be released. Which label has done it, Ilja, and any chance of a recording of the Requiem?

Pengelli

BBC Music Magazine ridiculed Dopper's 2nd symphony.
I got the cd in spite and loved every minute of it.

Gareth Vaughan

Well that's just a reflection on the ignorant snobs who people the BBC!

Pengelli

His music reminds me of the old US 50's tv show,'The Honey Mooners'."You're a riot (Alice) Dopper"!

Alan Howe

Can you tell us anything about Dopper's Viola Concerto, please,  Ilja?

Ilja

Sorry, Alan, I got things mixed up. There is a recording of Dopper's Cello Concerto with Anner Bylsma and the Netherlands Radio Philharmonic under Maurits van den Berg. A very entertaining piece, with typically Dopperian folksy melodies.

The Viola Concerto I thought of was Samuel de Lange's, played by Jürgen Kussmaul on viola and the Omroeporkest conducted by Leo Driehuys. A very fine piece, I think.

Attempt to have this (and the First Symphony) released have sofar hit a snag in the form of the bureaucracy surrounding the Dutch broadcasting institutions, and the fact that not only the orchestra, the publisher, and the conductor need to be paid, but also the broadcasting companies (of which we have well over a dozen). Don't. get. me. started.

Pengelli

Sounds like they're as bad, (or even worse?), than the
BBC!

Pengelli

I wish someone would hurry up & find and record Fould's
Symphony of East & West!

Pengelli

Brians 5th has waited far too long for a recording. I like
the most recent broadcast performance best (not BRC).

Amphissa

Andre Gedalge, especially his 3rd.

Gareth Vaughan

"I wish someone would hurry up & find and record Fould's
Symphony of East & West! "

Why not have a go yourself? Finding it, I mean, not recording it. What is known about the circumstances of its composition?

Pengelli

It would be an excuse to go India! Perhaps a tv channel
would pay for an investigative documentary.

Pengelli

Or a non fiction book along those lines. He died there,of course. An enigmatic maverick. Plenty of scope there!

Gareth Vaughan