Two more Kalivoda symphonies from cpo

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 23 July 2010, 12:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

edurban

Hurwitz really blasted the performances on the new cpo recording.

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=12963 

Anybody here heard them in full?

David

khorovod

Funnily enough two of the Amazon reviews (on the British Amazon website) of the first CPO, Kalliwoda cd refer to the performances in the same sort of terms as Hurwitz does to this new one. A third one raves about the orchestra. I suppose they are not proffessional reviews when all is said and done though. The new cd isn't listed at all though on the British or American Amazon, unless I'm missing something.

eschiss1

Quote from: khorovod on Monday 20 September 2010, 18:22
Funnily enough two of the Amazon reviews (on the British Amazon website) of the first CPO, Kalliwoda cd refer to the performances in the same sort of terms as Hurwitz does to this new one. A third one raves about the orchestra. I suppose they are not proffessional reviews when all is said and done though. The new cd isn't listed at all though on the British or American Amazon, unless I'm missing something.

Well, Hurwitz is "professional" in the sense that this is his profession- true. All other implications should be treated carefully.
It's on amazon.ca , to my surprise, but not British, French or US, true. Nor yet MDT it seems... (ah, Spering isn't conducting this one, I skipped over that detail. Willens/Köln-Akademie.)
Eric

eschiss1

btw the full score to overture 17 op242 (the one on the new recording) is now on IMSLP - see http://imslp.org/wiki/Overture_No.17,_Op.242_(Kalliwoda,_Johann_Wenzel).
Eric

Alan Howe

It's period-instruments, so it's hardly surprising that Hurwitz doesn't like it. In my view it's a perfectly good CD - and well worth buying. I thoroughly enjoyed it - while wondering what the symphonies would sound like done by say, the Mahler Chamber Orchestra or the BPO as conducted by Abbado or Rattle. One can dream...

eschiss1

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 20 September 2010, 19:38
It's period-instruments, so it's hardly surprising that Hurwitz doesn't like it. In my view it's a perfectly good CD - and well worth buying. I thoroughly enjoyed it - while wondering what the symphonies would sound like done by say, the Mahler Chamber Orchestra or the BPO as conducted by Abbado or Rattle. One can dream...
Chamber orchestra might have been against the composer's intentions in the overture, at least- if too chamber ;) (What period are the period instruments from? :) )
Eric

Alan Howe

The MCO can be a pretty beefy band of its type - so no problem with Kalivoda...