News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hyperion RPC Vol.52

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 28 July 2010, 10:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Excerpts from the planned November release of Goetz's PC2 and Jozef Wieniawski's PC can be heard here:

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67791

giles.enders

I think is is a shame that Hyperion have recorded Goetz second piano concerto when there is already a good performance of this coupled with his first.  There is Goetz third piano concerto which is still in manuscript which would be of much greater interest.

Alan Howe

Well, neither concerto is a premiere recording. Still, sounds enticing...

The timings also tell us that the Goetz is a much more expansive performance than that on cpo (by something approaching 4 minutes!)

FBerwald

Nevertheless the concerto (Goetz) is very beautiful. The Jozef Wieniawski is wildly romantic too but looses momentum after sometime... to become exciting in the third movement. I have a recording of this played by Setrak. Its coupled with the Chopin-Tausig Piano concerto!

JimL

Quote from: giles.enders on Wednesday 28 July 2010, 11:48
I think is is a shame that Hyperion have recorded Goetz second piano concerto when there is already a good performance of this coupled with his first.  There is Goetz third piano concerto which is still in manuscript which would be of much greater interest.
Giles!  What is the condition of the MS?  Is it reasonably intact and in full score?  What can you tell us about the work's performance history (if any)?

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 28 July 2010, 11:57
Well, neither concerto is a premiere recording. Still, sounds enticing...

The timings also tell us that the Goetz is a much more expansive performance than that on cpo (by something approaching 4 minutes!)
That reminds me when the only two LP performances were the Ponti on Vox Candide and the Baumgartner on Genesis.  Baumgartner's was the more textually complete (Ponti took cuts in the finale), but Ponti's performance was much more lively.

jerfilm

'Tis a Shame becuz we'll all be forced to buy the CD for the Wieniawsky......not the sort of thing you expect from Hyperion......but then I was very disappointed when the 50th was our own Minnesota Orch. doing Tchaikovsky.  What a waste.  Even though I got a free copy as a guarantor......geez

Alan Howe

The performance of the Goetz PC2 was played yesterday afternoon on BBC Radio 3. It is certainly a more expansive account than that on cpo, making the piece seem slightly closer to Brahms than to Mendelssohn/Schumann. It's certainly a delightful work - memorable, tuneful and eminently repertoire-worthy.
The rather more Lisztian Wieniawski (J.) PC is being played on Radio 3 as I type this and will make a most welcome coupling. Another Hyperion winner, I would have thought!

Peter1953

I'm looking forward to hearing the Wieniawski. His music for solo piano doesn't show much Polish passion, but the AP CD gives you most certainly an hour of listening pleasure. See http://www.acteprealable.com/albums/ap0184.html

Revilod

According to the notes with the CPO disc of Goetz's 1st and 2nd piano concertos, the third concerto, which is in D minor, exists only as a "fragmentary sketch" so I don't suppose it can be salvaged.  I do hope this is not the case, though, because the Bb concerto really is an outstanding work (I've reviewed the CPO disc on Amazon.co.uk) and if the third concerto were anywhere near as good....

I don't know whether I'll buy the disc just for the sake of the Wieniawski. The issue I'm really looking forward to is  the two Widor concertos.

Rob H

Likewise - I've never heard the Widor 2nd Concerto and I'm very eager to.
Has anyone heard what the repertoire for vols 55 and 56 are yet? The last I saw it was "55 - English rep to be decided" and "56 - Pixis coupled with ?". Potential for some real rarities here.

Rob

eschiss1

Quote from: hammyplay on Thursday 30 September 2010, 09:11
Likewise - I've never heard the Widor 2nd Concerto and I'm very eager to.
Has anyone heard what the repertoire for vols 55 and 56 are yet? The last I saw it was "55 - English rep to be decided" and "56 - Pixis coupled with ?". Potential for some real rarities here.

Rob
both Widor concertos are in score of some sort at IMSLP, by the way (the first in full score, the second in reduced. As are the first two symphonies opp 16, F minor and 54 in A major.) I'd like to hear the 2nd myself, and hope to find where I misplaced my tape with the first :(
Eric