News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Henri Reber Piano Trios

Started by Mark Thomas, Monday 01 July 2013, 10:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I haven't noticed before a new Timpani recording by the Trio Elegiaque of the Piano Trios Nos.3, 5 and 7 of Henri Reber. A full track listing and audio extracts are here. They sound like fresh, open-air pieces from the evidence available, and I'm downloading them as I type.

petershott@btinternet.com

Henri Reber? A wise man is one who happily confesses his ignorance. I don't think I've ever come across the name before. But had a quick google, and I'm kicking myself for having a hole in my knowledge. On the track now. Thanks Mark! And this is exactly what this wonderful forum is about.

eschiss1

Fairly sure I'd only heard of him from coming across him randomly on IMSLP (where they/we have a string quartet, quintet and two of his piano trios- nos. 1 and 6, unfortunately not those on the CD). He is mentioned in Berlioz' "A Travers Chants", though, I see (chapter title: "Symphonies de H. Reber.")

eschiss1

BTW as to Reber trio no.3, it was published in 1862 (see Bibliographie de la France for August 1862.)

jdperdrix

A second volume of Reber's piano trios has just been released by Timpani, by the same Trio Elégiaque. It consists of trios n. 2, 4 and 6. So only n. 1 is missing form Reber's 7 piano trios.
Those are respectively op. 12 from 1840, op. 25 "trio sérénade" from 1864 and op. 34 from 1876. They are incorrectly listed on the track list (as n. 4, 24 and 64, all op. 25!)
I'm just downloading it now.

Mark Thomas

Thanks for explaining that. When I downloaded them the other day and looked at the booklet I couldn't work out what was what. All is now clear.

jdperdrix

In order to completely clarify the situation, the trios appear on the cd in the order 4 in D major (4 tracks), then 2 in E-flat (4 trancks) finally 6 in E major (4 tracks).