News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Stojowski on DUX

Started by jameswesthead, Sunday 01 May 2016, 20:25

Previous topic - Next topic

jameswesthead

Has anyone got an opinion about the DUX CD of Stojowski orchestral and choral music?
I notice that Peter Shott (5 years ago) gave it a brief thumbs up.
There is also an extremely favourable Amazon review.

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

I have it. I like it. It's not something that makes a huge impression on me but it's certainly on the enjoyable side.

FBerwald

I got it. Like TerraEpon said. didn't make any huge impression but was very enjoyable. I'll give it another listen and see... I seem to remember thinking at the time that the Cantata was beautifully written.

Jonathan

I have it too, it's certainly a very enjoyable disc although, like FBerwald, it didn't stick in my head. If I have time, I'll have a proper listen later on (it's a Bank Holiday so no work today!)

Mark Thomas

Me too. "Didn't make a huge impression". Are we beginning to get an idea of the music, do you think?  ;)

FBerwald

No. We also said very enjoyable! Stojowski usually pays off on repeat listens like Medtner!

Mark Thomas

So, if it "didn't make a huge impression" on you, in what way was the music "very enjoyable"? I'm confused...

Alan Howe

Quite. It would have to be 'moderately enjoyable', surely  ???

Ilja

The Suite for Orchestra, although an unusual work, apparently made a bit more of an impression on me than on others. It's beautifully written, very well orchestrated, but structurally disjointed. The first movement is really a piece on its own, and the finale feels more like an intermezzo for most of its duration.
Both cantatas are also fine pieces, although I prefer the introverted "Spring" over the somewhat too purpose-heavy "Prayer". Personally, I might recommend this CD to someone who appreciates the more lyrical side of, say, Philipp Scharwenka or Glazunov.

Mark Thomas

Thanks Ilja, that's encouraging. I must dig out the CD and give it another spin.

Gerhard Griesel

I bought the CD after enjoying Hyperion's Stojowski with the PCs very much. The music doesn't make a lasting impression in the sense that you don't look at the CD on the shelf and say: Wow, that's the CD that I enjoy so much because... But yes, I also find it very, very enjoyable.

I agree that the Suite for Orchestra appears disjointed, but then, isn't that what suites often are?  A composer just throws together three (or more) pieces that are stuck in a drawer and calls it a suite. The only connection is sometimes that the same instruments have to be used in all three, and even that isn't always so. One of the reasons why I like the piece is because of the delightful, binding use of tympani and brass in all three movements, and on this recording it comes out loud and clear.

In Le Printemps there is plenty of melody and rhythm, a plus once again.

Prayer for Poland is also pleasant and reminds me in places of Grieg's Olav Trygvason, although not up to the same standard in terms of melody and drama. For example, listen to the rather tuneless soprano passages. Strong points are tympani, organ and harp. And the organ isn't just added at the end to make a point, as we find in Liszt and Respighi.